PDA

View Full Version : Coding Challenge

ApacheTech
05-28-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm making this thread for two reasons.

1. I'm bored.
2. I need something to code and my brain is farting fresh air for ideas.

We can turn this thread into a challenge for different languages to code their version of a project. Each challenge or project should include a collection of some kind that is either filled by XML or from a database, an of course, an end goal.

Ideas in the past have included a DVD Collection, searchable by title, director, year, main actors, etc and a Dungeons & Dragons character repository.

Coding should be from an Object Orientated approach and should be programmed defensively and can be written in any language. Challenges can be console applications, GUI applications or webpages.

So, what's your challenge?

keyboard
05-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Interesting... I actually pm'ed someone about this very same thing... (Coding challenge (I'm bored))

ApacheTech
06-14-2012, 03:32 AM
So, is no-one up for this?

bernie1227
06-14-2012, 05:29 AM
I'm up for it

keyboard
06-14-2012, 05:43 AM
should be programmed defensively

What do you mean by that?

I'm interested! Why don't we decide on one progam to build, then each pick a programming language and a date it has to be finished by. Then, when they're all done, we compare them and offer constructive criticism (and of course pick a winner :D)

The thing to remember is that you've left it open to all languages and as such, not all entries would actually be able to be used in a production environment (Dvd organiser in php {the user would never be willing to install php on their machine just to use the software}).

Why do you say only a cataloguing program?

bernie1227
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Erm... I suggest we all have to do something (in any programming language) using the same data-set so that they at least all have be common factor by which to judge them.

keyboard
06-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I agree, though I also suggest we have to develop applications, that have the same purpose.

bernie1227
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
or at least applications that do the same things

ApacheTech
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Programming defensively means that if the program encounters an error, it will degrade gracefully. Basically adding in Try---Catch blocks, passing Exceptions back to the Application, etc.

I've said a catalogue style thing because I want to code with objects. A book, for instance, is an object with the properties Title, Author, ISBN, NumberOfPages and Genre; maybe more.

I was thinking, being this is a webdev forum, that output should be in the form of a webpage. But, even failing that, you can write console applications and GUIs in PHP.

keyboard
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Ok....

So, any suggestions on what type of appllication/data we should do?

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 12:21 AM
I posted this thread so that other people could give me subjects to code for, lol.

I just want to code something, but my mind is blank, I need a topic. :p

keyboard
06-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Hmmmm.... how about a system that automatically creates every possible combination of characters, than MD5s them and inserts them into a database, but not before checking through the database to see if there is already a different string with the same md5 hash.

Then, as soon as you've found two with the same hashes, send the words, and the hash to me at my email and nobody else! After that you have to mysteriously dissapear off the face of the Earth so you can't claim you found it!

:p

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Would you like salt with that? :p

keyboard
06-15-2012, 12:58 AM
No, but if you could sprinkle it with a little bit of black pepper and some thinly sliced truffles and drasel it in some olive oil it would be quite appetising!
:D

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Well, I can give you a link to a few Tb (and counting) worth of rainbow tables. Schmoo has a daisy-chain of server farms doing exactly what you've asked. :D

keyboard
06-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Where's the fun in trawling through thousands or rtables when you can make your own :D

But seriously, I think I'm going to have a go at building a editor in vb.net (I'd already started). No, it aint object based and it isn't a webpage but, who cares?

I'm thinking:
Edits: Text files, Pdf (I can read them but can't edit them yet), images, other files (defaults them to text editing).
And one hell of a pretty gui! :p

As for you, I recently started building a social networking site (Very little of it is actually done (about .1 %). Why don't you go finish that for me? :D

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Are you building it as an MDI Parent/Child Application?

keyboard
06-15-2012, 03:19 AM
I don't even know what a MDI Parent/Child Application is! :D
What is it?

bernie1227
06-15-2012, 03:27 AM
Weather program? ;)

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
An MDI App is like most windows applications. The program itself is a container (a parent) and the documents within are the children. Think of the difference between Notepad and Microsoft Word. Notepad is a self contained program, only one document can be open per instance. With Word, you can open several documents within the same instance of the program and the documents act as free standing windows within the parent container. When you maximise the child, it fills the parent window, when you minimise the child, it minimises to the parent's "tray" rather than the Windows task bar.

bernie1227
06-15-2012, 09:24 AM
ok, were not doing one of those

ApacheTech
06-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Their simple to write. No more difficult than setting up a menu bar really.

keyboard
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'm not doing it like that. I'm using a tab system for now (like np++) but am definetely considering what you suggested!

bernie1227
06-16-2012, 01:14 AM
hmm... try googling coding ideas