PDA

View Full Version : jQuery Magnifier (IE9)

White Gates
04-21-2012, 07:44 PM
1) Script Title: jquery.magnifier.js

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/imagemagnify.htm

3) Describe problem: New guy here so please forgive me if I dont use the correct terminologies and appear ignorant. I have researched my problem through other DD posts but not able to resolve.

Trying to include jQuery Manignifier into my first built website, http://www.megemini.com/index_files/sneakpreview.htm and cannot get magnifier to work with IE9; works fine in FF and GC, it even works in IE9 on the DD demo page, but it just wont wor'k in my site. Even made the recommended change to the jquery.magnifier script; added " cursorcss: 'url(magnify.cur), pointer', //Value for CSS's 'cursor' attribute, added to original image ".

Hope someone can assist in resolving this problem.

White Gates

jscheuer1
04-22-2012, 04:57 PM
The script requires a standards invoking DOCTYPE to work in IE. However, your page's design completely falls apart if rendered in standards compliant mode.

So the first step would be to redesign the page according to standards. What are you using for web design, Microsoft Office?

In any case you need a program that doesn't put stuff like this:

<!--[if !mso]>
<style>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
b\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style>
<![endif]-->

and this:

<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_s1043" type="#_x0000_t202" . . .

in the source code of the page.

Here's a standards invoking copy of the page without all of that junk:

It works with IE and those others.

To be able to make something like that on your own:

If you use a WYSIWYG type editor (DreamWeaver is a popular example, there are tons of them around, some are free, use Google to find some options), set it to use a standards invoking DOCTYPE.

Going into more detail about setting up a standards compliant page is beyond the scope of helping you with this one script.

You could probably get some pointers in the HTML section of this forum. But it's something you need to educate yourself on at least the basics so you can make an intelligent choice of editor and basic decisions on how to use it.

A text only editor is always an option, but requires more than just basic knowledge to use properly unless you're just modifying an already standards compliant template. Even then, it probably takes a little more knowledge than a WYSIWYG editor, but has the advantage of getting you familiar with the code and hopefully avoiding some of the pitfalls of the WYSIWYG's, which can include situations where the editor changes your code without telling you and times when it will do things in a mindless repetitive fashion, when a more efficient logical approach is warranted.

White Gates
04-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks for taking the time to review my problem John and greatly appreciate the feed-back on what is needed to make the site meet the standards. I used MS Publisher to build the site.

I have been doing some reading on HTML since encountering the problem with the magnifier and will continue; I find this process interesting. Thanks for your recommendation and pointers; greatly appreciated.

Robert