PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to frames?

alokw
12-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi!

I'm relatively experienced in web design, but haven't been keeping up with the times. I know HTML very well and basic java/javascript.

I need to build a site with a simple layout of basically a menu on the left, and content on the right.

I want to be able to update the menu easily. Have something like 2 frames, so I could just edit the menu frame when I wanted to change it, and have the change effect every content page.

Problem: I don't want to use frames. Is there some kind of technology that I can use to "load" a menu into each page of conent. If so, what is it (java, CSS, ASP, etc)? and is there an example or script on the web that I can take a look at?

Thank you all so much for your help!
Have a happy new year!!!!

-Alok

sleipner
12-30-2005, 09:55 AM
A good most of the javascript menus on dynamic drive are rather nice, and if you store the script in a seperate .js file, you would just have to edit the .js menu file and the changes would affect it on all the pages that use the menu referencing to the external .js

Personally, I like the HV menu (http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm), its a multi-level/submenu system where the sub-menu pops out onmouseover, and has TONS of custimization features.

Twey
12-30-2005, 12:21 PM
There are several possibilities. You could, in order of descending advisability: Use a server-side language like PHP/ASP/SSI/ColdFusion to include an external file into your page; Use Javascript to construct your menu, included with a <script src="menu.js"> as suggested above; Use Java/Flash/something else big and not necessarily viewable by all your audience and include with an <embed> tag, as you suggested.

alokw
01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for all your replies!
I'm going to go with the HV menu you suggested, since it's already built and won't take much time to configure.
Hope you all had a great New Year and thanks again for your help!
-Alok

P.S. I had another question about creating multiple instances of this script. If anyone has time or is feeling gracious....

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6916

Thanks!!!!!!!

prince_of_oreon
01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Have you considered using a div and specifying the content source in your css?

cr3ative
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Have you considered using a div and specifying the content source in your css?

Is this possible? Css pointing to sources?

mwinter
01-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Is this possible? Css pointing to sources?Possibly. The content property can take a URI (using the url(...) functional syntax), however it is not intended to insert substantive content.

First and foremost, CSS is for presentation after all - document content is provided in the markup. Secondly, the content property only applies to the :before and :after pseudo-elements. In any case, not all browsers support the property (IE certainly doesn't).

Mike

sleipner
01-08-2006, 02:32 AM
oh, another way I just remembered: I think one of the Firefox extensions "Greasemonkey" (supposed to let you add your own scripts to a page before the browser parses it), with a script for Yahoo mail to let you preview a small part of the message in the inbox.

ANYWAY, I think it said something about "xml:get resource" - or something like that, I'm not sure, since I dont use the script, extension, or even Yahoo mail anymore...

just wondered if it might help anybody looking for ideas of where they could check...

Twey
01-08-2006, 10:22 AM
AJAX. It's rather overkill for something like this, but if you want to use it, there are a few AJAX Includes scripts here on DD.