PDA

View Full Version : Smoothmenu: issue with sub-menus on IE9



s_wise
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
1) Script Title: Smooth Navigation Menu (V1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem:

Firstly, thank for providing a great site.

I'm attempting to integrate smoothmenu into a "blogger" site. I have the menu displaying OK on Safari, Chrome, and FF but the sub-menu behavior on IE9 isn't quite right. Can you offer any advise on how to correct?

Thanks,

Site URL (http://4927stonehavenlane.blogspot.com)

ddadmin
04-20-2012, 06:12 AM
There's quite a bit going on on your page, so it's difficult to isolate the problem at a glance. I've seen this type of problem occur in the past when the page either doesn't contain a valid doctype at the top, or has changes made to ddsmoothmenu.css that IE doesn't like. That's not to say that's what's necessarily going on here in your case.

Just to help narrow down the culprit, try duplicating your page and remove the modified version of the menu from the duplicate page entirely. Then, install the stock version of the menu back onto the page exactly as presented in the menu download page (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm), where everything from the .js/ .css file to the menu's HTML is that of the stock menu's. Does the problem still occur? If so, next step is to gradually remove the other CSS and LINk elements on the page to see if the issue is due to a conflict between ddsmoothmenu.css and one of the numerous other CSS files on your page.

s_wise
04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the response.

The issue is that Blogger (as far as I know) does not allow uploads of files like .js and .css. and therefore they cannot be in the same place as the html. Given that I can't install the menu as provided. I have to host the .js and .css files elsewhere and then change the code to link to them. I can still do that but keep the .js and.css code as provided. Would that help any?

Thanks.

ddadmin
04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
That's fine if you have another hosting account that you can upload the default .js/.css files to. Just hotlink to those files on your test page. Make sure you also use the default HTML of the menu on your test page (the markup portion).

s_wise
04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I've reinstated everything as close to as provided but the issue still exists in IE. There's definitely some CSS conflicts going on somewhere.

s_wise
04-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Looks like I've managed to correct the issue. I moved the menu html out of the blogger "gadget" and edited the template, adding the the html to just before the </head> tag. That seems to have corrected the issue and the menu works on IE now as well as the other browsers I tried.

It may not be "recommended" or the best coding practices but at least it's workable for what I need right now.

Many thanks again for providing the menu.