PDA

View Full Version : Iframe SSI script II issues dated 2005

geoff11
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
1) Script Title: Iframe SSI script II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/iframessi2.htm

3) Describe problem:
Hi,

I used to have web design as my 2nd job, but quit it about 12 years ago, and am now trying to pick it up again. Ouch ... after realizing that my frame page is ready for the museum, am trying to switch to iFrames.
My frame site:4 hor. frames, full width: header (fixed), drop-down navigation bar, main frame, footer
The iFrame site: identical: header - no scroll (only way I found to have it resize according to monitor size), nav - no scroll, main - scroll bar, footer - no scroll.
The script does a great job in FF v11 to adapt the height to the contents, but in IE8, it messes up completely.
And, in FF11, although I have only 1 iFrame with scroll bar, a scroll bar displays on the right side of the window and covers the 4 iFrames.

I have been playing around, but am unable to find a way out. I did read some comments about not using iFrames, but to switch to layers instead. Is the iFrame compatibility the problem?

I would greatly appreciate, or an update to the script, with some comments, or, if there is a better way to get the job done, I'd love to hear it.

To be complete, my iFrame section:

<iframe id="iframeheader_noscroll" src="header.html" align="left" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" style=" overflow:visible; width:100%; display:none"></iframe>

<!-- display:none can be left out -->

<!-- only good result when adding a div -->
<div id="iframe_nav_noscroll">
<iframe src="navigation.html" width="100%" height="40" align="left" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</div> <!-- end div iframe_nav_noscroll -->

<!-- 40 px is the height of the menu bar. what happens when a menu drop-down occurs? -->

<!-- intro.html is the startup page and will be replaced by whatever the viewer selects -->

<iframe id="iframe_main_scroll" src="intro.html" width="100%" align="left" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" scrolling="auto" style="position:relative"></iframe>

<!-- copyright and sitestatistics -->

<iframe id="iframe_copyright_noscroll" src="jav61_copyright.html" width="85%" height="40" align="left" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" scrolling="no" style="position:relative; overflow: visible;"></iframe>

<iframe id="iframe_stats_noscroll" src="stats.html" width="15%" height="40" align="left" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" scrolling="no" style="position:relative; overflow: visible;"></iframe>

Appreciating all help !!!