PDA

View Full Version : Roll Carousel

vwphillips
03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
1) CODE TITLE: Roll Carousel

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES:

3) DESCRIPTION:
A Carousel with 'Vertical' or 'Horizontal' modes of execution
the script rolls a group of elements until stopping on a specific or random element.
Options allow:
the roll direction, duration and speed to be specified,
an end 'bounce',
sequential or random auto rotation
and persistence to restore the last frame on reload.

The functional code size is 4.48K

4) URL TO CODE: http://www.vicsjavascripts.org.uk/RollCarousel/RollCarousel.htm

or, ATTACHED BELOW (see #3 in guidelines below):

djr33
03-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Cool script, but slower please! It hurts my eyes seeing all of that jump. The technical reason for this is the lack of blur-- it's perfectly crisp and jumping around so it all you see is random sharp lines and color blocks. But since JS doesn't allow blurring, it's too jarring to have it that fast-- faster than your eyes can adjust to tracking the objects.

jscheuer1
03-10-2012, 04:53 AM
I agree it's a neat effect. I'm not sure it matters that it's jarring. A lot of visual effects are. If not used in auto mode it can draw attention without being too annoying. And, though it is complicated, javascript can do blur. IE has a filter for it that can be used for versions of IE that don't support the canvas tag. With the canvas tag (supported in virtually all current version browsers) blur can be done. Or you could simply put a partially transparent overlay on the thing while it's spinning. Or even a permanent frame of sorts that would obcure the edges of the images and have a center line or the hint of a center line, like a slot machine does.

But none of that needs to be done for the script to have merit. They could just be nice options, or they could just be something the end developer using the script on their page could institute.

vwphillips
03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
thank you for your feed back
I have updated the script to slow the roll for example 1 and have added an option for a mask