PDA

View Full Version : Book Flip slideshow will not become active

dynadhd
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
1) Script Title: Book Flip slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/bookflip.htm

3) Describe problem: I created a test page, (www.grandlifestyle.com/testboojflip.htm, and all worked well.
Now I copied the contents of the test page into my index file. The outline of the book appears, but nothing else. What did I miss?

jscheuer1
03-07-2012, 03:58 AM
You left out the onload="ImageBook();" part. Put it here (addition highlighted):

<meta content="r" name="Microsoft Border">
</HEAD>
<BODY onload="ImageBook();" style="text-align: center"><!--msnavigation--><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" dir="ltr" width="100%"><tr><!--msnavigation--><td valign="top"><msnavigation border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" dir="ltr" width="100%">
<TABLE id=table35 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellPadding=0
width="780" bord . . .

dynadhd
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Many thanks, John, for your prompt help. The book flip slide show is now working.
Let me share two observations:
(1) I not only entered the onload code, I entered the entire code you displayed in your answer to my query because your code was different from the original code.
(2) I almost threw in the towel because the Preview in Expression Web 4 did not preview (just like before). However, I published and Voila!
John, you made my day.

dynadhd
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Once I discovered the published Index page with the embedded Book Flip slideshow is working, I was elated.
HOWEVER, when I returned to edit the Index page the Design view refuses to open -- a blank page appears, but the code displays in the Code view while in Split or Code view.
This website was maintained for years with FrontPage 2003 and now I am using Expression Web 4.
I tried 3 browsers: IE9, Firefox, and Chrome. No luck.

jscheuer1
03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is a bug in your editor. But if it is, that's not our problem. Many WYSIWYG editors have trouble handling javascript at times. As long as the you can still edit the code, you can always view the page directly in the browser to see your progress. If you want to use drag and drop or other WYSIWYG editing features in preview mode, you can disable the script by commenting it out or removing it until you get other things arranged to your liking. Removing it is probably best. You can put an image or a div in its place as a placeholder to help you work out the layout.

But be careful, keep a backup of your page and the code you remove. WYSIWYG editors sometimes change javascript code without telling you they're doing it. Tracking down and fixing the problems that causes can be tedious and time consuming.

If it's not a bug in the editor, it might be misplaced and/or unclosed comment tags in the raw source code.

I never deal with such editors though, so there might be another problem and/or solution or there might be no solution.

dynadhd
03-09-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.grandlifestyle.com/scripterror.jpg
John, I appreciate your help and did some more digging.
The attached image may offer a clue. Unfortunately, my programming skills acquired over the past 54 years do not yet include today's sophistication.
You have been a great help; I am sure we can do it.

jscheuer1
03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Don't use that then. Preview the page directly in the browser.

dynadhd
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
John, I don't understand your last response and must inform you that much of my coding has disappeared (only 122 lines still exist). Therefore, I won't even be able to remove the Book Flip script and figure out another way to take that slide show's place.
I even copied the published file back onto my computer. The same problem: only 122 lines display in Code view (Display view only displays a bit of garbage). However, online, the home page functions a-okay.
Where has all my coding gone?

jscheuer1
03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Very possibly FrontPage ate it. It's almost 10 years old and even when it was new, serious coders hated it. Try downloading your page with an ftp program.

Anyways, you should always keep backups of your work.

I have a copy of the working page if you want/need it.