PDA

View Full Version : Page Borders, At Least I Think...

Captnwolfy
12-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi,
First, I wanted to thank everyone for checking out this message. If I have placed this in the wrong forum, or if it is inappropriate for this forum please let me know.

After a LONG hiatus from website building I have gotten back into it. The short reason list being that I need to have creative control, I'm a constant tweaker, and $$$.

I am going after a distinctive look for my site. Mainly, an entire webpage contained in a (colored) border. Example sites I have looked at being:
www.lifewithwealth.com
www.tizag.com/beginnerT/

In these, all the content is contained in a box centered in the middle of the page. How to accomplish this I have no idea. Are there scripts (javascript?) to do this. Is it CSS (of which I have never used). Any help on where to look would be GREATLY appreciated. Good tutorials, links to scripts, etc.

Thanks In Advance
Captnwolfy

BLiZZaRD
12-26-2005, 10:07 AM
The "border" is basically just a background image (in this case a single color), with the other text area layered ontop.

there are many ways to accomplish this, the easiest is thus:

make your back ground color choice then make a table for the center content, something like"

<body>
<table width="630" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="10" bordercolor="#CCCCCC" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<tr>
<td width="339" height="290" valign="top"><p align="center">TITLE OF PAGE HERE </p>

and on and on until your "table" is complete. then you will have a nice border of color around a center aligned table of content.:D

mwinter
12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
I am going after a distinctive look for my site. Mainly, an entire webpage contained in a (colored) border.

#wrapper {
border: solid 2px color
margin: 0 auto;
}

<body>
<div id="wrapper">
<!-- ... -->
</div>
</body>

[...] make a table for the center content [...]Umm, why?

Mike

jscheuer1
12-26-2005, 04:56 PM
#wrapper {
border: solid 2px color
}

Got to put that semicolon in there:

#wrapper {
border: solid 2px color;
}

Also, judiciously declaring a width as well as some padding for #wrapper would make a bit more sense in actual practice, as opposed to this purely theoretical example.

mwinter
12-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Got to put that semicolon in there:Yes, I think adding the italics delimiters made me forget that.

Also, judiciously declaring a width [...]Yes, a width or max-width declaration would be necessary otherwise the div element would expand to fill the width of the body element (as block-level elements do). As this is bound to lead to a fixed-width design, I was expecting the OP to do that, anyway.

Mike