View Full Version : Jim's DHTML Menu and FF 1.5

12-23-2005, 08:38 PM

I've been using this menu for a while now, when I noticed that it does not position the submenus correctly in FF 1.5 or Opera 8. It worked fine in FF 1 before. It still works fine in IE and Netscape. What happens is the submenus are postitioned high up above the main menu bar (off the screen). It's at this URL:


There was a problem in Opera, but I found a fix to that in this forum. However it still has the same positioning problem as FF 1.5. I assume this is becuase they are both using the dom-build file. I tried a ducktape style fix, by adding an extra offset in that file. Didn't work because it moves all the menus down, when I just need to move the first level menus down.

Thanks in advance for any help

12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm not trying to bump up this thread, just thought I might have found some information that might help someone help me. In FF using the web developer bar, if you select the option display media type by print or handheld, the drop down menus position themselves correctly. Now if I could just figure out what these settings change, I might get closer to fixing it.


01-02-2006, 05:48 PM

I am having the same problem with my menu at www.royalspin.us

someone must have used Jim's Menu and found a way to fix.

Please let us know.

Rod Dakan

01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Both of you folk's menus seem to display fine in FF1.0.7 here, perhaps it is a bug in the FF1.0.5 or whatever version of FF you are using.

01-03-2006, 06:24 PM

I've fixed the problem on my page, it seems the java works perfectly fine in FF 1.5, but positioning of other divs seems to affect it where in FF 1.0.7 it did not.

For me the problem was in my css, I commented out sections of my css until I narrowed it down to a single line. I had an absolutly positioned div below where the menu sits, changing it to relative fixed the problem. I know it shouldnt' matter, the code should render the menu independently from the rest of the page, but it does not in FF 1.5. Changing postioning types caused my page to render differently in IE, so I just used the !important operator to absolutly position it in IE but use relative positioning in other browsers.

Also, if you have not noticed, there is a fix in this forum for Opera 8.5, the code available on dynamic drive has not been updated.


01-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I have the FF1.5 problem. Could somebody place a code fix here with instructions?

01-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi jason can you post link to opera fix?

01-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Guess I am just a little slow and need simpler directions.

I didn't understand what you were saying Jason.

so help me out here i'm really slow learner.


01-08-2006, 11:54 PM
rdakan and nodenet,

I don't have a fix for the java code, what I have figured out is that it does not position properly (in FF 1.5 and Opera 8+) when you use absolute positioning for other things in your html. rdakan, I verified this by downloading your html and changing all the position:absolute lines to position:relative in your inline css. This fixes the problem, but it will mess up your positioning, so you will have to redo the positioning in your html without using position:absolute. So I don't actually have a code fix for it, just the advice to avoid absolute positioning and it will work fine. For the Opera 8.5 fix search this forum for opera and jim's dhtml menu.

If any of this does not make sense go here www.w3schools.com, you can learn html and css within a day