PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Jim's DHTML Menu



Jim Weinberg
02-11-2012, 08:03 PM
1) Script Title: Jim's DHTML Menu v5.7

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I put together a page with three layers of menus. After playing around with the script parameters, I finally got it to layout the way I wanted. My problem is that it displays differently in different browsers despite the fact that it says it's compatible with them. I suspect the problem is in the build scripts. Does anyone know if there are newer versions of these scripts?

Thanks,

jscheuer1
02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Don't forget browser.js (also in the includes folder). Here are some updated build files and an updated browser.js file I have lying around here. Hopefully they'll take care of things for you:

4338

Keep a backup of the old ones, and replace them with the files in the attached archive. Keep the original blank.gif and REMINDER.txt files as they haven't changes and are not included in the attached archive.

BTW, the menu won't show up at all in IE 9 without these newer files.

The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.

If you want more help, please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

Oh, and if you have a horizontal menu, add this to the head of the page:


<!--[if IE 8]>
<style type="text/css">
font {
vertical-align: top;
}
</style>
<![endif]-->

Jim Weinberg
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
John.

I appreciate your providing me with the files. Unfortunately, they didn't solve the problem. I checked and the date stamps for the new files are the same as the ones I had.

I don't have access to a server right now, but I'd be happy to upload the files I'm using if that would help. I really like this tool, but it has to work cross browser or it's no good to me.

Thanks again,
Jim

jscheuer1
02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Perhaps only the browser.js file was updated, I know it was. I also added a conditional style to my last post. Did you see that? I think you responded after I added it. It helps in IE 8.

Forgive me for asking but - What do you want a menu for if you have no access to a server?

Anyways, I don't think you're going to get it to layout exactly in all browsers. If there are still significant problems, consider a more recent menu or upload the files.

Jim Weinberg
02-11-2012, 11:12 PM
John.

My bad. There was an updated browser.js in the files you sent. I was looking at the build files. As for the server, I will have access to one when (if) I publish this puppy. I've attached the two files I'm working with (all the others are unchanged.

It lays out fine in NS9 and is close in IE8. But foxfire 3 is way off and safari is just crap.

From what you said, though, I don't know if it's worth your time to try to fix it.

I have been playing with another approach, which I can't get to work quite right either. It involves putting the menus in .js files. But, again, I can't seem to get them to layout quite right.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Jim

Jim Weinberg
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Found an alternate method. Imbedded the servicesmenu call in a <div> and used a modified version of showhide.js I found on javascriptsource.com.

jscheuer1
02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
That's good because I was playing around with your demo and found a solution for Safari and Chrome with it, but IE was being stubborn. My solutions for it, which worked on the demo were not entirely effective on your version of the Jim's Menu, and after I tried a number of other things, I still couldn't find a solution for the various IE versions. IE 9 was relatively easy, 8 and 7 - I never got them to look good.

Anyways, glad you found something that works for you!