PDA

View Full Version : Can I change fonts in Fixed Tooltips?

James T/
12-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm using Fixed Tooltips script with great success in a community education project. However, my knowledge of Java script is very limited and I'd like to change the font in tooltips to Comic Sans MS (a lot of our users are dyslexic). Can anyone advise how to do this?
'Fixed Tooltips script' http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/fixedtooltip.htm

Twey
12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I'd like to change the font in tooltips to Comic Sans MS (a lot of our users are dyslexic).
And also have no aesthetic sense? :) I'm sure the default font would be easier to read than Comic Sans MS, not to mention that the Microsoft fonts can't be relied upon cross-platform.
If you really must, find:
document.write('<div id="fixedtipdiv" style="visibility:hidden;width:'+tipwidth+';background-color:'+tipbgcolor+'" ></div>')and replace with
document.write('<div id="fixedtipdiv" style="visibility:hidden;width:'+tipwidth+';font-family:"Comic Sans MS" sans-serif;background-color:'+tipbgcolor+'" ></div>')
You can change the font name to something else if you change your mind... :)

James T/
12-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks Twey but it's nothing at all to do with aesthetics. Most dyslexic adults find Comic Sans one of the easiest to read. Apart from having a more realistic shape, the spaces between letters are even throughout.
Thanks for the tip.

jscheuer1
12-19-2005, 10:52 AM
I must be mildly dyslexic then. After reading your post, I tried switching the font in my text editor to Comic Sans MS and what a world of difference it makes. The text no longer looks like gibberish unless I really focus on it, now details and meaning just pop right out at me. I had been using Courier New, which was an improvement over some of the non fixed width fonts I have tried but the difference with Comic Sans MS is like night and day! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Twey
12-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I have a horrible feeling that the above post is in Comic Sans. Thank goodness I don't have it and therefore see it as Times New Roman. :p
On a more serious note: someone ought to design a proper, cross-platform alternative to Comic Sans, for dyslexic people. Any artists around here? :)

cr3ative
12-19-2005, 11:45 AM
The font I use mainly is one made from my own handwriting. It's legible, sensibly spaced and doesn't look too bad, if I say so myself.