PDA

View Full Version : AllLevelsMenu & Iphone

ehud93
12-24-2011, 04:16 PM
1) Script Title: All Levels Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

Iphone seems to struggle with items that are 2 or 3 levels deep on the menu that are supposed to resolve to a link instead of another submenu.

Here's an example.

AAAA <-- top level menu
|
BBBB <-- drop down menu
CCCC --> DDDD

AAAAA works fine, BBBB works fine. CCCC works fine - but when I select DDDD which should go to a link the iphone browser starts to go to that link but stops (I see the circular activity indicator start to spin but stop) . If I hold my finger over that menu item for a long time I will be prompted with a iphone browser menu asking me to Open link or Open Link in a New Window.

Opening in a New Window works -- but when I press Open link nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

djr33
12-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure why that would be the case. To start, here are two points:
1. Is this an interaction issue? Is the menu accessible on the iphone? Menus that involve hovering usually don't work well, if they work at all. So, is this just a technical issue about loading the links or is it accessibility as well? One simple option is to replace the menu with something similar on mobile devices. Generally putting something that complex on a mobile site isn't a great idea. Without a mouse, it just won't work the same way.
2. Is this a problem on the demo page here? Can you confirm that? If not, then it is a problem with the way you installed it on the page. If so, then it is a bug in the script (assuming (1) isn't the problem).

The browser on the iphone is safari and, aside from input differences (touchscreen, etc.), it is identical to safari on the computer. So, if this is not an accessibility issue, then the same problem should occur in the safari browser on the computer.

I've tried the demo page on my iphone and in Safari on my mac. Neither one had any issues. The two things I noticed:
1) The links furthest in on the menu aren't URLs. They're just "#" which loads the same page (without actually refreshing anything). Basically they're blank demo links. They seem to work. On the iphone it does the "loading loop" you described, but that's probably just what happens with that type of link. With a real URL I think it would work; with the real URL links that are not as far down in the menu, it does work.
2) The only iphone specific problem was that it worked by clicking, not hover, so that there was no way to exit the deeper levels of the menu to get back to a new highest-level menu item. Of the items at the highest level, once one was clicked, I could not successfully navigate back to any other. Everything else worked, though. (And I could navigate out of lower levels by clicking on the higher level to close it, but that doesn't work with the highest level because there's nothing to click to "close"/deactivate the whole menu-- that could be fixed, actually.)

In conclusion, I don't think there is a technical problem with it, or at least I don't see it-- post a link to your page if it works differently there. But this menu is far from ideal for an iphone so if you think using it on an iphone is important (or probably any other touchscreen device) then you may want to change the menu, or use an alternative on mobile devices.

rigolino
12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Hello. I think I have exactly the same problem. My application is not designed for iphone or ipad, but it could be used in one of those devices, so I need it to work.

My link to my page is:

enterprisedatabase.comocreartuweb.es/erp/menusprueba.php

The problem is in the "Catálogos" menu, the ones that have sub levels, they dont work in ipad or iphone. I try them in safari in my computer and they work well, the problem is just in mobile devices.

It would be good if you can help me with this.

Thanks

djr33
12-26-2011, 05:21 AM
This type of menu is just not designed for a mobile browser. Having an alternate navigation system for mobile devices is probably the best option, as I explained above.
Relying on a "hover" type menu on an iphone just won't work well. So you could try to redesign this menu to work better, but I don't see the point. It's probably easier to use a different menu or to have a mobile page for your website.

netlooks
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
I wanted to re-open this conversation. The original poster is correct in that this is a bug. I understand that mobile device design suggests moving in a different direction, away from a javascript menu dependant on hover, but this menu DOES work well on iOS and mobile platforms...except for the issue they are asking about.

I downloaded "ddlevelsmenu" and uploaded the demo and files EXACTLY as they come. The only thing I changed was added a URL to Sub Item 3.1a, Sub Item 3.2a, etc. The links do not work, the sub-menu reloads, and nothing happens.

Can you please help us out? I would love to continue to use this script, and I'm hoping this is a simple problem, but I have not been able to identify it.

netlooks
02-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Any idea how to fix this? I would really appreciate your help!

ddadmin
02-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I see the problem. Expect a fix sometime this week. :)

netlooks
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much - you're awesome! Fix is working great!