PDA

View Full Version : Fade bg colour

Jonny2577
12-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Hy @ all.

Could someone tell me if its possible to fade the bg colour from the startpage?

I have allready an background image but some parts are transparent so i would like to chance the colours of these parts with a fade script.

thanks for any help.

jscheuer1
12-16-2005, 12:10 PM
What kind of fade did you have in mind? The two types I can think of off the top of my head would be:

1 ) A static gradient fade. No script required. An additional background can be added via the markup and style that is underneath the original and fades off in whatever direction you like being visible only under those portions of the original background that are transparent.

2 ) A dynamic fade. A script of some sort would be required. In order not to be too crass or annoying, a fair amount of thought should be given to the effect on the viewer's eyes and the legibility of the page this would have. Basically the part of the background visible beneath the transparent parts of the image could be cycled through a range of colors. This could be done rapidly or slowly, one time or continuously, back and forth through the range or starting from the beginning each time the end is reached. As interesting from a coding point of view as this is, the static gradient is more likely to produce a good looking result that doesn't cause problems.

You might have something else in mind entirely. I wouldn't want to get too involved helping you to create this effect until I knew more precisely what you were after. Also, there probably already are scripts for many, if not all, of the dynamic fades I mentioned. A Google search would probably turn up quite a few. The fact that you tend not to see too much, if any of this sort of dynamically fading background speaks to its inadvisable nature. Just because a thing can be done doesn't mean that it should be done.