PDA

View Full Version : JavaScript and GeoCities

LaPoetessa
12-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Can anyone tell me why it is some scripts work on some servers and not on others. I've been playing with some code today which I found on DD. It's a revolving text mouse trailer. It works perfectly well on my website but when I tested it in GeoCities it did not work and yet another script works quite well there. Why is this?

Baffled from Britain! LOL

jscheuer1
12-15-2005, 07:23 AM
If you are talking about the Circling text trail, post_#9 (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20737&postcount=9) from an archived thread will be of great use to you. That script only works in IE though and there have been no updates for it that I know of. In general, here is some dope on Geocities:

Geocities (as are many free hosts) is a poor hosting choice when you are planning on using much javascript. Free hosts generally, Geocities in particular, put many of their own scripts on your page automatically when you upload them. These scripts often conflict with some or all of your own scripts on your page rendering them nonfunctional or dysfunctional. The real test is, if it works locally but, not on Geocities, it could well be script conflicts, there are other possibilities. Two of the biggest conflicts arise when your script uses i or j as variables (Geocities hi-jacks those for its own scripts) or if your scripts attempt to put offsite material inside a frame or iframe on Geocities (they've got scripts designed to prevent that). In the first case you can change all i's used as variables to other more complex variable names, same with j's but, of course, use a different name for all the j's used as variables. The second problem has no work around that I know of.

LaPoetessa
12-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Thank you John for that. I knew it would be something simple. Wow complex numbers not done those in a while...having a degree in mathematics should have allerted me to such.

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards

LaP