PDA

View Full Version : Windows server

Briton
12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
What software would i have to run in order to have a wndows server?

Twey
12-14-2005, 07:29 PM
1) Windows
2) A webserver - IIS (if you want ASP) or Apache (if you just want a nice webserver and/or can't afford IIS). There are several webserver packages out there. Apache is the most popular.

Briton
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
what about windows server 2000? Is that anygood?

Twey
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
My advice is still to go with a *nix-based server. Windows Server <insert rerelease number here> is very expensive, and, frankly, not worth a quarter of it. Especially when you can get a superior BSD server for free, save hardware costs, of course.
If you must get a Windows server, I'd say WinNT.

Briton
12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
That is very true,

BUT... A bunch of my scripts that i have built or uploaded run .asp

like my site

theeasymail.com

STRICT ASP

Twey
12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Ugh... the first thing I got was a huge alert starting with "HEY YOU!" and telling me I need to use IE to get all the features. This popup then continued to bug me whenever I clicked a link.
As I pointed out before, this package (http://www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/index.xml) provides ASP support for Apache, across multiple platforms. If you're going to pay for a copy of Windows Server/IIS anyway, you'd be better off buying that.

Briton
12-14-2005, 08:26 PM
OK so tell me. if you had asp what would you buy?

Twey
12-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I would port my site to PHP and use Apache with PHP. Were this not an option, I would buy the Sun ASP engine, and probably run OpenBSD. If you're less experienced, you might want to use a more user-friendly operating system, such as Fedora. I'm sure I've said this before.

Briton
12-15-2005, 12:34 AM
ok good choice,
In MY opnion i was really hoping for a windows server. Where can i find information about a windows server?

Twey
12-15-2005, 06:53 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx
Tucked away in a back corner of the Microsoft website.

Briton
12-16-2005, 03:30 PM
WOW!
those prices are crazy :mad:
one of my friends told me that he thinks that there is a free linux package out there that supports asp, is that true?

Twey
12-16-2005, 04:21 PM
I did warn you :p
The Mono package has support for ASP.NET, but only if written in C#; the more common VBScript language is not supported. From what you've told me, you have three options:
1) Port your site to either PHP or ASP.NET in C#
2) Buy a copy of Windows Server
3) Buy a copy of Sun's ASP engine

By the .aspx extension of those pages you showed me, however, I would guess that you're probably using ASP.NET as opposed to classic ASP. Sun's engine does not support this. This narrows your choices down to the first two. There is no free package in existence to provide classic ASP support for Linux.