PDA

View Full Version : "peekaboo" option not working in IE8 ultimate fade in slideshow

printman55
11-11-2011, 04:17 PM
1) Script Title: :: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Here is the link to the page:
http://www.rspsitedesign.com/leeinstitute/new-home-test.html
The fade in slide show with the peekaboo option works fine in IE9, Firefox and Safari. But will not show up in IE8. Please help.

jscheuer1
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM
You have a trailing comma (red in the highlighted line) in the image array:

imagearray: [
["fade/ALF-Class-XI-Grad.jpg", "", "", "ALF Class XI Graduation"],
["fade/ALF-Class-XI-Conversation.jpg", "", "", "ALF Class XI Small Group Conversation"],
["fade/ZFive-Mentees.jpg", "", "", "A Few ZFive Mentees with their Mentor"],
["fade/Mecklenburg-United-Agenda-for-Children.jpg", "", "", "Mecklenburg United Agenda for Children Table Conversation"],
["fade/Mecklenburg-United-Agenda-for-Children-Town.jpg", "", "", "Mecklenburg United Agenda for Children Town Hall Meeting"],
["fade/Mecklenburg-United-Agenda-for-Children2.jpg", "", "", "Mecklenburg United Agenda for Children"],
["fade/NCPC-Asheville-Summit.jpg", "", "", "NCPC Asheville Summit"],
["fade/NCPC-Durham-Summit.jpg", "", "", "NCPC - Durham Summit"],
["fade/Grier-Heights-Community-Circle.jpg", "", "", "Grier Heights Community Circle"],
["fade/Workshop-for-Jewish-Federation.jpg", "", "", "Workshop for Jewish Federation"],

//<--no trailing comma after very last image element!
],

Get rid of it.

Also, some of the images are 404 Not Found and the show is set to randomize. If the randomization picks a missing image as the first image, the show will not start in IE 8 or 9, but you should at least get a black area where the slideshow would be. Refreshing the page should eventually get it to work by bringing one of the existing images to the first position. But it would be best to just fix the missing images either by removing them from the array or by uploading them to the server.

printman55
11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
John,
Many thanks for that quick help!!!

printman55
11-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I made those changes and now something else is happening. As the pictures are fading in and out there is a small black box that is blinking in the lower right corner of the page.

jscheuer1
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm not seeing it. What browser and version?

printman55
11-11-2011, 06:21 PM
It is IE8 8.0.6001.18702
Running XP

The blinking box is right next to the down arrow on the scrollbar.

jscheuer1
11-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I've got the same browser and OS on a virtual machine and it's not doing that. One difference, my browser says it's version 8.0.6001.18702IS. I dunno if that makes any difference. I'm also not seeing it in Win 7 IE 9 or IE 9 in IE 8 mode or in Firefox, or Opera.

Try clearing the cache and refreshing the page.

If that doesn't work, use IE 8's developer tools to find out what the element is.

printman55
11-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I did all those things with no luck. I'm not sure how to use the developer tools or what I'm looking for.

jscheuer1
11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
While you're viewing the page in the browser hit the F12 key. That brings up developer tools. In the upper left hand corner of that is a pointer arrow. click that. Then click on the thing that's giving you the problem - the blinking thing. then switch back to developer tools. It should show you the element you clicked on.

But I'm thinking since it doesn't show up in my IE 8 under XP or any of my browsers in Win 7, it's probably nothing to worry about. How big is it? When you say lower right, do you mean the lower right of the page, or lower right of the visible window? I checked both places and didn't see it.

In any event, I can't fix it if I don't know what it is. See if you can get any information on it using developer tools.

It might be due to an add on that you have that I do not.

printman55
11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I found the issue. Apparently I did something after removing the last comma after the images.
I removed this: "//<--no trailing comma after very last image element!"
and deleted the white space and it went away. Yea!!

jscheuer1
11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Probably a coincidence, or it caused the page to update more fully. But, if you're happy, I'm happy.

printman55
11-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks again!!