PDA

View Full Version : ddsmoothmenu problem with IE

garyw2
11-08-2011, 04:26 AM
1) Script Title: Smooth Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: I have just publshed this website at
www.parramattatm.org.au. Checking internally first (with Expression Web) the menu was fine with Firefox and IE8. Since publication I have had confirmation that it is fine with a variety of browsers in computers, tablets and phones except for IE.

In IE7 the menus drop down and freeze in place until the page is refreshed. In both IE7 and only on some computers with IE8, the menu would hide behind the Search box. I have fixed that in part by inserting z-index: 1000; which I found on the forum. But the menu still pushes the box below it down the page instead of covering it. Even without the menu selected, the Quick Links box moves down to allow for it. The peculiar thing is that in a small sample it only happens with about 1 in 3 computers with IE8. I haven't tried IE9. All other browsers appear to work fine.

Are you able to do some broswer tests to confirm the problem? Any advice?

ddadmin
11-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Hmm using IE Tester (http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage) and testing your page in both IE7 and IE8 looks fine to me. Even when a browser says IE7 or IE8, they may be an older version of said browser that contains bugs addressed in the newer versions. IMO though IE7 is an entirely outdated browser that one shouldn't- and shouldn't- worry about anymore.

Just to test things out though, what happens if you disable the shadow effect inside the .js file? Does that makes things better in those problem browsers?

shadow: {enable:false, offsetx:5, offsety:5}, //enable shadow?

garyw2
11-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Disabling the shadow made no difference.

The baffling thing is that if I open the website in IE8 from my hard drive it is fine. However, if I then download the website into another tab, the problem is there. For example the menu is hidden by the Search box unless I add the z-index script.

So we have the same browser showing the same website in adjacent tabs, just sourced from different places, with the menu behaving differently. No problems with any other type of browser and no need for the z-index line of code for them.

Another triumph for Microsoft?