PDA

View Full Version : Content for a beginner...

LJ2K
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
A friend has asked me to design a webpage for him, unfortunately he hasn't got a clue about HTML... Is there such a script that would allow him to update the page without having to learn how to code HTML (other than online WYSIWYG editors which usually interfere with other scripts on a page not provided by the host)?

Cheers! :D ;)

ddadmin
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Well some web hosts offer an online site builder, which is different from a wysiwyg editor, for example: http://www.homestead.com/ But honestly, learning how to use a HTML editor is about as easy (or difficult) as using these online versions instead, so why not just get him to buy a really easy to use HTML editor? :)

LJ2K
12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately, he's very lazy. I only considered making it as I'm close to his family, which is why I was hoping for a quicker solution. Thanks anyway. ;)

While we're on the subject of editor's, among the many free one's available such as 1st Page 2000 (soon to be replaced by 1st Page 2005) & HTMLGate Free 2005, the easiest one has to be EasyHTML (http://www.javascript-page.com/easyhtml/main.html). Like many people, I started out using popular one's like 1st Page 2000, but I didn't feel comfortable using it, EasyHTML helped learn how to build a webpage from scratch in 7 hours (this is starting to sound like a publicity stunt, sorry, but I believe in what I'm saying). I spent less than 1 hour a night for a week using it's tools & surprised myself by creating a great looking page. Since hen I've steered clear of drag & drop editors as much as possible, since text editor's like this one allow me to be much more creative. :D

LJ

P.S.
Hope this post doesn't break any rules, I got a bit carried away. :)

Twey
12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
an online site builder ... is different from a wysiwyg editorNot necessarily. If it's "drag-and-drop," as LJ2K puts it above, then it's still a WYSIWYG editor, be it online or off.

sleipner
12-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Maybe you could design the primary content page with iframes (or even just regular frames) for the content parts he will be able to change, and then just tell him "Ok, when you wanna change stuff, just edit these .txt files" then he wont even have to look at an ounce of code.

The only limitations here would be not being able to include pictures (no way to easilly include pictures in the middle of the body content without HTML).

LJ2K
12-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Don't know why I didn't think of that :o ... as far as the pictures go, I could use sample pictures named 'picture1.jpg', 'picture2.jpg', etc, and tell him to name his own pictures the same, depending on where he wants each picture. Cheers for that! :D :cool:

mrbadco
12-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Cool page or web page maker great for beginners or making a quick page,
drag and drop pictures, and he can export the page to his hard drive and see how it was coded

sumbuddysgrl
01-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes! Web Page Maker is great for viewing the source of how your pages were created. But ... Does anyone know why when the pages are published to the internet (my website), none of the images can be seen??
They are all boxes with x inside.

LJ2K
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
The obvious reason would that the image names & the location specified don't match. Hard to be sure without seeing the site, but it might be worth linking to the images using the FULL URL (ie. http://www.yoursite.com/image.jpg) to make sure. And remember, some hosts are case sensitive, so if your image is called Pic1.jpg calling it pic1.jpg will prevent the server from finding the image.