PDA

View Full Version : DD Image Crawler Configuration Issue

RelearningHTML
10-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Script: DD Image Crawler
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/crawler/index.htm

Trying to run the Crawler in an Include (SHTML) file being used as a web page header in an ASP file generated page (when I run this in a straight HTML file it works fine).

The pics are truncated on top and bottom so they are not at full height (no matter what the Style height or margin is set to) and another one of the pics on the scroll will come up under one in the original crawler so I am rsometimes seeing two truncated pics (one above, one below) try and scroll with the crawler.

I put it in the middle cell of a 3 column table to solve some other formatting issues but I canít figure this one unless it is a support issue for the code from the server. It behaves the same whether I use a table or not.

What do you think? Can we get it up and running?

jscheuer1
10-26-2011, 12:52 AM
An excellent key to diagnosing something like this is the browser's 'view source'. It will show you how the include is integrated into the served source code of the .asp page. In all likelihood this is different than when you put it in a plain HTML page.

The solution? Compare the two versions and adjust the code of the include and of the 'top' page accordingly until the served code of it matches that of the plain HTML page.

If you want more help:

Please post a link to a page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

RelearningHTML
10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks John for looking at this. I followed your advise but the code in the source from the browser seems to be exactly as it should be compared to the actual HTML coding from the crawler.

Here is the link to my site: http://www.bvgasa.org/index.aspx

I added width and height attributes to the images to get it to what you see. without these I sometimes got three rows of truncated images!

I hope you can see something I don't because I really like this crawler.

Thanks.

RelearningHTML
10-26-2011, 07:14 AM
I just realized that when you go to any page other than the home page, using the links on the left, the 6 images are locked. They do not scroll at all.

jscheuer1
10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
The problem is style (from bvgasa.org/css/style.css around line #23):

#head img {
float: left;
background-color: #343465;
}

To override that for the crawler, add this style:

.marquee img, .marquee0 img {
float: none !important;
}

On those other pages the problem is that they have no external script tag on them for the crawler script. They're missing:

<script type="text/javascript" src="crawler.js">
</script>
<!-- /* Text and/or Image Crawler Script v1.5 (c)2009-2011 John Davenport
Scheuer as first seen in http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/
username: jscheuer1 - This Notice Must Remain for Legal Use
updated: 4/2011 for random order option, more (see below)
*/ -->

RelearningHTML
10-26-2011, 05:12 PM
That's it! - Style. Wow.

All of my ex-wives said I had no style. I guess they may have been right.

Thanks very much. It works great. Don't know if you noticed that I also run the Magnifier script on this web page. I am going to see if I can add that functionality onto the pics in the Crawler.

Always tinkering.

Again, thanks for the support. It's a great product.