PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing text using Cross Browser marquee II

edjon2000
10-07-2011, 08:39 PM
1) Script Title: Cross Browser marquee II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2.htm

3) Describe problem:

Hello all,

As this is my first post please be kind :)

I am having some issues using Cross Browser marquee II on a site I am developing

This could be something obvious to you JS gurus but I am still trying to learn javascript and struggling :(

I have tried to utilise this script on a dev version of a clients website and am having the following problem, whilst the actual scrolling looks great it seems to drop out on or around the last entry, the text just disappears

Any help and advice with this would be greatly appreciated

Jon

jscheuer1
10-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Actually that script is more deprecated than the marquee tag is.

I think the one you have with the marquee tag looks better. Why not just use that?

edjon2000
10-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi John, thanks for your response

The main reason I am trying to avoid the use of the marquee tag is because I try to design my sites to be XHTML strict compliant, I am also migrating some of the new ones toward HTML5 where possible and whilst the marquee tag has been re-introduced to the HTML5 specification there is no support for it yet, however, there are couple of jquery scripts that should do, I will try those out and there is of course the SAG scroller available on DD that I can try.

Do you have any useful pointers as to where I can find some good javascript tutorials I find it to be a very difficult language to learn.

Anyway, thanks again for your help

Jon

jscheuer1
10-09-2011, 06:08 AM
I think there's a lot more support for the marquee tag than you might think. It was much maligned at one point. But browsers have been quietly adding support.

That's not to say however that a well coded modern marquee script might not be a better choice.

One could use the marquee tag as a non-javascript fallback, either in a noscript tag or as the on page markup that the script uses to make a more dynamic scrolling feature.

As for a tutorial on javascript. W3Schools isn't too bad:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/

Others have recommended How to Create:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/

One thing you shouldn't do though is assume that just because something is on the web, even on one of those sites, that it's the best way or even the right way to do things.

As with a lot of things it's often easier to teach javascript without mentioning some of or any of the more advanced aspects of it. This approach can get you started, but often leaves you with a simplistic understanding and perhaps even some bad habits.

Are you a programmer or more of an artistic type, bit of both? Either way it's good to have as thorough of an understanding as possible of HTML and css as these are what in most cases javascript manipulates in order to achieve its effects.

edjon2000
10-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for the links I will certainly have a look at them, I have used W3Schools in the past many years ago, and, in fact, still do for things like html colour names and shades, and to remind me of the syntax for the more esoteric tags.

I like the idea of using the marquee tag as a noscript fallback option I hadn't thought of that.

I think that one of the problems with javascript is that there is no single point of reference and many different implementations and frameworks AJAX, Spry, JQuery, JQuery-UI to name a few, my primary programming languages are PHP along with MySQL each of which have good references php.net and mysql.com ok the latter is a bit heavy going but the answers are there, some of the javascript references I have looked at are a bit vague to say the least.

I am most definitely a coder rather than artistic so much of my work may be a bit plain to look at but technically it works well, the last few sites I have built including the one I mentioned before are all built on the codeigniter php framework I like that because it is very lightweight and follows the PHP 5 OOP specification and uses an MVC type structure.

I have looked at a few CMS's but generally find them too slow and way too restrictive.

So, to sum-up I need to gain a deeper understanding of Javascript to be able to make sense of how the JS frameworks function.

Thanks again for your help

Jon.

jscheuer1
10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, javascript comes in many flavors. And there are lots of browser specific twists and turns. jQuery isn't such a bad place to start these days. It normalizes most things across most platforms and browsers. However, even with it (as with plain javascript), touch screen support is tricky. I'd skip the jQuery ui unless you really need it.

For regular jQuery:

http://api.jquery.com/

is very good.

But understanding plain javascript helps a lot even when using jQuery. An understanding of the DOM (Document Object Model) is very useful in understanding all javascript, css, and HTML. And even comes in handy with PHP, really anything that affects and/or constitutes the content of a page.

edjon2000
10-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Well I have started going through the W3schools tutorials, and I have to say that a lot of it makes a lot more sense than it did before, it is very similar syntactically to PHP OOP Objects and methods, I think once I understand the built-in js objects and methods available and get used to the dot notation I should be on my way to understanding the language.

I agree that knowing how basic Javascript works will certainly help when it comes to understanding JS frameworks in the same way as understanding basic PHP helps when it comes to using PHP frameworks, it's handy to know whats happening under the hood so to speak.

Thanks for all of your help and support John, I really should finish this topic now and let you get back to helping others, I will let you know how things turn out

Jon

edjon2000
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
But before I do,

Remember when I said that I had tried some CMS,s and found them to be very slow and restrictive? I forgot to mention one noteable exception, and that is a CMS called Wolf I have been prototyping it for use for the site I mentioned before and the thing actually works well, the only reason I ultimately did not use it was because the Brochure page on my site use a unique -shall we say- approach to enable it to display the way it does, the whole thing came about because my client decided that he wanted to be able to update certain pages himself and this CMS allows you to do that in fact I may even use it in the future for other clients, as I found it to be much quicker than codeigniter

Contacts page build for codeigniter took 0.0443 seconds
Contacts page build for Wolf took 0.0130 seconds

So quite a saving

Jon

hardpeter
10-30-2011, 01:03 AM
1) Script Title: Cross Browser marquee II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2.htm

3) Describe problem:

Hello all,

As this is my first post please be kind :)

I am having some issues using Cross Browser marquee II on a site I am developing

This could be something obvious to you JS gurus but I am still trying to learn javascript and struggling :(

I have tried to utilise this script on a dev version of a clients website and am having the following problem, whilst the actual scrolling looks great it seems to drop out on or around the last entry, the text just disappears

Any help and advice with this would be greatly appreciated

Jon
I had the same problem. I had it in a table. As soon as I removed it from my table and positioned using top, left etc it no longer disappeard. I'm well pleased with Marquee2

edjon2000
10-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks hardpeter

I will certainly try it, I am trying to use it to scroll a definition list