View Full Version : open an IM client

12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Hello, I am looking for code to open an AOL, MSN, and Yahoo IM client using HTML. I think it is <a href=aol..., but that is not appearing to work for me now. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Reliably, you can't. I think AIM installs an aim:// URL handler into Internet Explorer, and I think Yahoo's is yim://, but this is not advisable, as some people won't use IE and I'm not sure about any of this anyway. :)

12-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, for this app it is only IE...luckily. Thanks for the reply...yim is one of things I was looking for. Do you have an example?

12-11-2005, 05:09 AM
hey, i dont know the code for yahoo but here it is for aim

the message section of the code is what will appear in the section of the IM that someone will send to you. I usually have "got+your+screen+name+from+your+site"

Hope this helps,
David :cool: :cool:

12-11-2005, 12:47 PM
For AIM:
<!-- Add a buddy -->
<a href="aim:addbuddy?screenname=me">Add me!</a>

Send a message
<a href="aim:goim?screenname=me&amp;message=Hello,+me!">Message me!</a>See http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/messylinks.php for info on the ymsgr: URL schema (yes, I was wrong :p). MSN requires the use of an object. Examples:
<!-- Initialize the MSN Messenger object -->
<object classid="clsid:B69003B3-C55E-4B48-836C-BC5946FC3B28" codetype="application/x-oleobject" id="MsgrObj" width="0" height="0"></object>

<!-- Add a contact -->
<a href="#" onclick="MsgrObj.AddContact(0, 'me@msn.com'); return false;">Add Me!</a>

<!-- Send a message -->
<a href="#" onclick="MsgrObj.InstantMessage('me@msn.com'); return false;">Message me!</a>Examples ripped wholesale from the forum systems here at DD. :)

12-16-2005, 06:51 PM
That helped a lot. Thanks for posting.