PDA

View Full Version : License question - Animated Collapsible DIV v2.4

TN03
08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Animated Collapsible DIV v2.4

http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/animatedcollapse.htm

Hello!

First of all let me say "Thank You" for all your work and the possibility to use your scripts for free!

I have created a plugin for a small CMS which uses the Animated Collapsible DIV script. The user has to create one or more sub-pages with his content where he can define sections by using <hx> - tags.
My (PHP)-Plugin searches for this (hidden) sub-page(s) and splits the content with some regexp into <div> - blocks. After that, it'll prepare the output for use with your Animated Collapsible DIV v2.4 js and integrates all necessary files to the page head.
The goal is, that the user only have to create and edit his content. Preparing the code and integration of your script in the parent page is done by the plugin itself.

So looking "from outside", I'm not sure if it is a violation of your license if I release my plugin.
In fact I came across this part in your Terms of use:

Not Acceptable:
- Use our DHTML scripts in any type of service or application whereby our codes are part of the product offerings themselves.

Can you please confirm that I'm allowed (or not) to use your script that way?

BR
TN03

djr33
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
You can use the script within a product, but not as the product, or as such an important feature that you are basically just repackaging the script. Generally speaking in a CMS system using a DD script should be fine, as long as the copyright notice is always there-- even for all final users.
If you need specific information or permission, the administrator here (username: ddadmin) can check on the details of your question.

From what you've said it does not sound like a problem. Maybe adding a link on the CMS page to the DD site would be a nice trade.

In cases where the usage does not fit within the terms, it is usually possible to negotiate a deal of some sort if necessary. (For example, a small fee, or an ad on your site for DD.) That is only necessary when the usage falls outside the terms. Additionally, for projects that seem reasonable (well-intentioned) exceptions can be made. But for all of that you'll need to contact ddadmin.

ddadmin
08-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Daniel summed things up perfectly in the paragraph:

You can use the script within a product, but not as the product, or as such an important feature that you are basically just repackaging the script. Generally speaking in a CMS system using a DD script should be fine, as long as the copyright notice is always there-- even for all final users.
If you need specific information or permission, the administrator here (username: ddadmin) can check on the details of your question.

In this particular case, as a part of a plugin the DD script becomes dependent on it to function, and furthermore, only works on the CMS it was built for. These factors minimize any argument of the DD script being the product itself (or for all intents and purposes a repackaging of the script). In other words, it's fine under the current TOS, as long as the credit notice within script in the HTML's source remains intact.

Good luck!

djr33
08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Just to connect two very similar questions, here's a link to the other:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63884

TN03
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
@Daniel & ddadmin:

many thanks for your quick and detailed replies. I'm glad to hear that I can release a plugin with your script that way.
Of course the credit notice remains intact in the script and the html-source. I'll write down that facts in the plugin documentation, to inform the user too.

And, beside this, I'm happy to place a link to DD on the download page and in the documentation, when it's finished.

KR
TN03