PDA

View Full Version : Status Bar Text javascript not working

Ljmwsmith
07-26-2011, 07:19 AM
I built a website a few years ago and had javascript that I obtained from Dynamic Drive that added the ability to have text appear (type out) on the status line after the page uploaded. Now, this is no longer working. :eek: Is there something blocking the status line being able to have the text on status line? I'm trying to build a new website and want this ability back. Please advise. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

jscheuer1
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Over the years browsers have been taking back things that once were open to manipulation via javascript. The status bar is one of those things.

Now some browsers by default have no status bar pre se, they may or may not relay some of the information that would have been in a status bar if they had one in different ways. Others by default reserve the status bar for link addresses (when hovering an a tag that is a link) and messages that the browser generates internally.

You cannot change the user's settings in these regards, and most users aren't even aware of them. They just use whatever the defaults are.

The bottom line is the status bar is no longer a reliable spot to place content.