PDA

View Full Version : AnyLink Vertical Menu

vermima
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I love this script. But I am wanting to do two things that I have not figured out how to do.

1. Be able to edit menu from one page for all of my web pages.

2. Be able to have another dropdown box pop out from the menu. Example.

......Home Page 1
...............Page 2
...............Page 3 Page 1
...............Page 4 Page 2
...............Page 5 Page 3
..........................Page 4

Thanks
Vermima

jscheuer1
11-29-2005, 06:42 AM
For number one, you can use PHP includes or external javascript files and possibly one of the new AJAX scripts here on DD. I know the least about PHP includes but, know enough to know that if your server supports them, they are the way to go.

For number two, check out this demo (http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/testddaw2002.htm).

vermima
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks I will check out PHP includes.

On your demo that is what I am wanting for sure just for vertical instead of horizontal.

vermima
11-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok I checked out PHP includes and I don't think it will do what I want.

My problem is that when I have to edit the menu options for this script which is placed in the head of the HTML I have to do it on each an every single page. I want to be able to just have it out in a .js script and have it pull into the head of the page but when I do this i get an error message.

jscheuer1
11-29-2005, 06:07 PM
My problem is that when I have to edit the menu options for this script which is placed in the head of the HTML I have to do it on each an every single page. I want to be able to just have it out in a .js script and have it pull into the head of the page but when I do this i get an error message.

Well, doing external .js files is something I do know about, here is my stock info on that, let me know if you need more help:

Use a text editor to save the script, call it 'file_name.js' where 'file_name' can be any valid file name of your choosing. Substitute the name of your external .js file for some.js in the below:

<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Common problems arise when:

1 ) The script file is not in the directory specified. In this example it must be in the same directory as the page(s) that use it.

2 ) Opening, closing and/or 'hiding' tags are left in the external file. This means that you must strip:
<script>
<!--and
//-->
</script>and any of their many variations from the beginning and end of the external file.

3 ) The external call (<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>) is not inserted into the page at the correct spot. The external call must be inserted at the same place on the page where the script was/would have been.

4 ) Paths to other files (if) used by the script are no longer valid due to its location. This is only a problem if the external script is kept in a different directory than the page it was working on when it was an internal script. To correct this, use absolute paths inside the script. Absolute path examples:

http://www.somedomain.com/images/button.gif

http://www.somedomain.com/~mysitename/index.html

5 ) Inappropriately combining two or more scripts into one external file. Usually external scripts can be combined if one knows enough about scripting to do so properly. Even then it is possible to overlook something.

A rule of thumb when testing is, if it won't work on the page, it won't work as an external file either.

One other thing, if this is a DD script or any script that requires the credit remain for legal use, include the credit in the on page call, ex:

<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript">
/***********************************************
* IFrame SSI script II- Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
* Visit DynamicDrive.com for hundreds of original DHTML scripts
* This notice must stay intact for legal use
***********************************************/
</script>

Make sure to retain all the 'decorations' as these include begin and end javascript comment delimiters, without which, the script won't function.

vermima
11-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks That worked. Now just to be able to have my menu vertically pop out to two or three teir.

vermima
11-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know how to create a submenu on a Anylink vertical drop down menu.