PDA

View Full Version : cross-platform audio player?

fisto66
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a cross-platform audio player which works on iOS, Android, WebOS etc. I found jPlayer to be promising, at least when I saw the description on their website. But when I tested it on my Sony-Ericsson running Android it didn't work...

Can someone give me an advice how to best implement a stable, solid audio-player working on most mobile platforms?

I need this for a website for local musicians. Users should be able to browse/preview songs on their mobile phones and to download the MP3-files. Although, I believe file download can not be implemented on smartphones, am I correct? The only way is syncing with for example iTunes, right?

Regards,
Milan

djr33
07-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Downloading on phones is complicated. It may work on some but not on others such as iPhones, except by synching. The best you can do is give them an option to download and another to play. Then hope that one works.

This audio player is great and very compatible:
http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/

It's the best I've ever seen, and it works on most systems. It uses the HTML5 embed tag if nothing else, so basically if the browser can handle audio in some way, it will work.

Another option is the HTML5 embed tag by itself, but that is not yet supported in all browsers. Hopefully soon it will be.