PDA

View Full Version : Multi level menu's in a shared border?

Minty
11-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help!

I would like to add a multi level drop down menu but place it in a shared border so that it always appears on each and every page of the website. The ones I have tried will only work on the page that the page the HTML is added too.

Does anyone know of such a menu which can be nested into a shared border or another solution?

I use Frontpage.

Hope you can offer some helpful advice.

Minty

jscheuer1
11-28-2005, 04:59 AM
There really is no such thing as a shared border and I wish there were no such thing as Frontpage. I gather from what others have said about this that what you mean when you say 'shared border' is frames. Any menu that you put in one frame will remain there as long as its target is one of the other frames. The real trick is, if the menu drops down and needs to cross over into one of the other frames in order to be completely visible. Only a few can do that so you are better off designing things so that doesn't need to happen. The one available here that can do that is a third party script that is not well supported in these forums. It is a bit tricky to configure and generally not for someone who does all their coding in a WYSIWYG editor like Frontpage. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some menus of this type that are designed as plug-ins for Frontpage designers. I just don't know of any and suspect that they would probably use proprietary IE code, rendering them useless to folks who surf the web in other browsers. The menu here that I speak of is:

HV Menu v5.5 (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm)

If you want to use it across frames, do yourself a favor and learn about frames and learn to use a text editor to both insert code into your HTML pages directly and to configure external javascript files. Not as hard as it may sound but, probably a learning curve.

Minty
11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi

Forgive me but I am not a professional web designer but I have been running a number of website for the last 6 years or so, all using Frontpage.

It works for me so I am happy with it. With reference to your response, I do not mean frames! In Frontpage you can setup a border that is common to all pages on the site. This is not a frame though.

I have used the menu you suggested but had problems positioning it but I agree it is a good option. However, it only sits on a single web page and I was hoping to be able to set up a menu which was common to all pages.

Minty

jscheuer1
11-29-2005, 06:28 AM
No need to be forgiven, many folks use Frontpage. If it is all you have to design with, it is better than nothing. I meant to convey that such a strategy as what you propose would be fairly easy to carry out using a text editor and frames. The HV menu's author's site (http://www.burmees.nl/) uses such a system.

After reading your reply I looked into 'shared borders' a bit and find that they may not be frames. They do sound an a lot like frames though. I would want to see a site coded with them before I decide for sure what they are. However if, as is indicated on Microsoft's page on shared borders that I found with Google, they are the same on every page, I don't see why simply putting a menu on one wouldn't make it available to all pages on the site that use that same shared border, as long as they are all in the same directory.