PDA

View Full Version : Pausing RSS scroller character + remove description



alarova
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
1) Script Title: Pausing RSS scroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

Ok so i have a RSS feed from the status of our facebook page that will be presented on a waiting room screen

Source Rss feed: http://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.php?id=135575093150712&format=rss20

Now i am ble to have the feeds come into my html page, now 2 issues

1. French characters like é à show up like participé. when it should be participé.


- i saved my page as UTF-8 and as ISO-8859-1 and both show same results, even changed in my lastRSS.php -> var $default_cp = 'ISO-8859-1'; and still fails

2. if some one could point me on how to removed the description that is showing in black


you can preview my feed at http://72.55.164.4/~alramee/rssfeed/

If some one can give me a hand i would appreciate it

thanks!

ddadmin
06-23-2011, 08:50 PM
On the issue of the mangled characters, there's been a few threads on this I believe, though I'm not sure if a solution came out of any of them. You might want to do a search on Google for "ajax content charset issue" or the like to see if something useful turns up.


if some one could point me on how to removed the description that is showing in black
Try removing the code in red below inside your initialization code:


new rsspausescroller("Facebook", "pscroller2", "rssclass", 3000, "", "date+description")

alarova
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Great thanks the description is now gone thanks!:)

Now all is left is to figure out the character issue for french characters:confused:

alarova
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Shazam!! I fixed my issue for the french characters :D

in the lastRSS.PHP file there is some encoding entries i modified


// Public properties

// -------------------------------------------------------------------

var $default_cp = 'UTF-8';

var $CDATA = 'content';

var $cp = '';

var $items_limit = 0;

var $stripHTML = False;

var $date_format = '';


I changed the entries in Red


// Public properties

// -------------------------------------------------------------------

var $default_cp = 'ISO-8859-1';

var $CDATA = 'content';

var $cp = 'ISO-8859-1';

var $items_limit = 0;

var $stripHTML = False;

var $date_format = '';



refreshed my page and that fixed my issue for all the french characters.

I hope this helps someone down the road

ddadmin
06-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for sharing that, I'm sure it will be of use to future members that have the same issue.