PDA

View Full Version : ddlevelsmenu - can it work on mobile browsers?

semmel
06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
1) Script Title:
All Levels Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/

3) Describe problem:
Hi. I implemented the script on one of our sites, and I love the look of it!
I tried it on a Galaxy Tab (Android pad) and found that unfortunately the script doesn't seem to work at all.
The demo on the site likely does not work because the top level menu contains links. In my version, I simply added ' onclick="return false;"' to prevent the click to do anything. So, in my version on an Android browser, it opens a white box with black borders on the site and nothing else.
I tried disabling shim and all the effects, but there's no change.

Is there a place in the script that you can direct me to that might help me add Android support? I won't necessarily need it for this project, but we'll likely continue using this script on other sites in the future that need to be Android/mobile compatible, too.

Also, I can't give you a link to the project since it's an internal site that's not open to the public... If it would help you to find an answer, I can probably put a small version of the page on my own site, but I didn't make any changes to the design at all and only a few temporary test changes to the .js file, so other than adding "return false" it's still the original code.

Thanks in advance!

semmel
06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
I think I just answered parts of my question...
The white box comes from the "return false" which prevents the menu script from closing itself...

So I think what I need to do is go dive into the code and find the mouse click events and determine if there is a menu attached - if yes, then return false AFTER all the other code is done so the android browser doesn't follow the link...
I guess the "issue" in this case is that the menu is based on the <a> tag, and the android phone fires off mouseover when you click on it - unless there's a link on it...

My hack is probably pretty crude :-)
Still hoping that someone has a better idea for me :-)

ddadmin
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
That's essentially how you'd do it, yes. I plan on updating the menu scripts on DD in the next few weeks for this btw.

semmel
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey, that sounds great, thanks!
If you need help beta testing, I have access to an Android phone with all kinds of browsers and an Android Galaxy Tab - I'll be glad to help you test if you like. Just send me an email (as Admin I take it you can get to my email address).

semmel
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi,
just checking if you happen to have had a chance to revise the code yet for adding touch screen browser support.
Again, I'd be happy to run beta tests for you.
Thanks,
Richard

semmel
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I think I found out why the current script is not working on my phone...

I finally found out that the script WAS updated to work on mobile browsers, so the current version is 3.0.1 - except the current version available for download is still 3.0 :-)

When you get a chance, can you please upload 3.01?

Thanks!

Can't wait :-)

semmel
08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry, posting again - I realized that the new script version wasn't available for download yet, BUT it was already implemented into the site!
So I just pulled the .js file, and I'm good now - thanks!