PDA

View Full Version : Cgi

keyboard
06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm using the free hosting provider called helio host at the moment. I've found a basic cgi script but I'm not sure were to upload it onto the server and the reference I have to put in the top of the script. Thanks for any help.

djr33
06-12-2011, 04:02 PM
There's usually a cgi-bin directory within the main folder of your hosting. You can also look up information on cgi on the internet.
But a specific answer to your question would require that we know about your particular host. It's probably better to ask them directly, or maybe see if there is any information about CGI on their website.

My guess is that a free host won't support CGI. Some paid hosts don't support CGI. It's not a "basic" function of a web host. It's for more advanced users. Of course your host may support it, but if you can't find any way to do it, it may be because they don't have it enabled or installed.

Why are you using CGI? CGI is a very powerful and also very complicated language that may be more than you need. I recommend looking at some other options for languages that are supported on more hosts (including possibly yours). My personal choice is PHP, but there's also ASP.net and a few others.
CGI of course can do basically anything you need, but it's more complicated than the other languages in my opinion.