PDA

View Full Version : Fade-in slideshow Not Working in IE

claireym
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:

Hi there,

The slideshow works perfect in Firefox, although sometimes it decides randomly not to show up and says "error div id fadeshow1 not found" even though I have the div in there. In IE8, the slideshow does not come up at all... Would anyone be able to help, I've tried looking for the answer in here but can't find anything. Would really appreciate any help!

My website is: www.ballyalbanychurch.ie

Thanks for your help! :)

Claire

jscheuer1
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Get rid of this extra comma (red):

<script type="text/javascript">

var mygallery=new fadeSlideShow({
wrapperid: "fadeshow1", //ID of blank DIV on page to house Slideshow
dimensions: [599, 349], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image
imagearray: [
["images/banner/banner01.jpg"],
["images/banner/banner02.jpg"],
],
displaymode: {type:'auto', pause:2500, cycles:0, wraparound:false},
persist: false, //remember last viewed slide and recall within same session?
fadeduration: 500, //transition duration (milliseconds)
descreveal: "ondemand",
togglerid: ""
})

</script>

About that other problem, the alert, I couldn't get it to happen. So I'm not sure what caused it. Non-standard markup can sometimes cause something like that. But the page validates except for one warning and one error both of which are trivial, neither of which should affect that division not showing up.

You can fix those though, might help. On line #153:

<div id="mydiv4" class="cms-editable"><p class="datetime">10th & 11th May 8.00pm</p>

That should be:

<div id="mydiv4" class="cms-editable"><p class="datetime">10th &amp; 11th May 8.00pm</p>

And on line #207:

Ballyalbany Church is delighted to launch our new dynamic website, full of the latest information on our various activities. We have a brand new, easy to remember, website address to go with it www.ballyalbanychurch.ie . </p>

At the end there's a </p> that doesn't belong, get rid of it.

Other than those two things, if you can determine under what circumstances you get that alert, that might help me to be able to fix it.

When it does happen, does the slideshow still work? If so we can simply disable the alert, let me know.

claireym
05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi John,

That worked a treat! :) Thankyou so much! I have no issue in IE now, and Firefox is perfect!

It's always the little things, and I couldn't get my head around it, really appreciate your help!

Just one final query, it's not a big deal, but a few people with the newest version of Firefox, 4.0.1 have said that when you land on my website homepage, the slideshow is a black box for about 5-10 seconds before the slides come up. I just installed the latest version and it seems to be doing the same thing for me.

It's not a big issue as it does work in the end but I was just wondering if there was something in my code that may prevent the slideshow from coming up for about 5-10seconds when you initially land on the page? Once refreshed it's fine...

Thanks so much again for your help! :)

Claire

jscheuer1
05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Even in Firefox 3.6.17 there is a delay. When this happens there is supposed to be a loading image. Did you download that from the demo page?

I haven't updated Firefox yet due to some concerns I have about its stability and its ability to run add ons that I rely upon for diagnostic purposes. But I'm going to have to soon because so many are using it.

Are you sure it's taking longer?

If so, it sounds like it's just taking Firefox 4 longer to download the images. The slideshow doesn't start until the first image is downloaded, and often won't switch to the next one until that's downloaded.

But it might be something else. I'd first try updating to jQuery 1.5.2, change:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

to:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

If that doesn't take care of it, we could try placing the first image or the loading image as the background. That's trickier than it seems though, so let's try the update first.

claireym
05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I changed that line there and it seems to be working perfect now! :)

I hadn't downloaded the loading image, I might just do that anyway, but it looks perfect now! Thanks so much for your time and patience! Really appreciate it! :)

jscheuer1
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
OK, I just updated to Firefox 4.01 and there's no difference from Firefox 3.6.17 as far as an initial delay when the images aren't cached yet. So probably you just need the loading image.

Alternatively, or in addition, the background-color could be changed from black to #464437, the color of the background around the slideshow.

Do you have the loading image?