PDA

View Full Version : Message board link description tooltip

Mod
11-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi.

Well...firstly, I don not have any knowledge of javascripts so guys, please do help me regarding my querry.

I need a 'topic dicription tooltip' on mouseover for my messageboard. Best example is this very forum that when you run your mouse over any posting, a yellow box comes up. I need exactly the same for my forum's threads.

Please mention where to put that tooltip too.

Thanks in advance.

ddadmin
11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
This is harder than it sounds, as the tooltip feature is an integrated one built into vBulletin (the forum software we use). For the tooltip itself, it's just the "title" attribute of HTML being used here, but vBulletin dynamically populates this attribute with an excerpt of the thread it's pointing to. You'll need to modify the source of your forum software, written in PHP for example, and add such a feature. Unless you're a PHP programmer, this could be difficult.

Mod
11-23-2005, 11:15 AM
This is harder than it sounds, as the tooltip feature is an integrated one built into vBulletin (the forum software we use). For the tooltip itself, it's just the "title" attribute of HTML being used here, but vBulletin dynamically populates this attribute with an excerpt of the thread it's pointing to. You'll need to modify the source of your forum software, written in PHP for example, and add such a feature. Unless you're a PHP programmer, this could be difficult.

Thanks ddadmin for clarification.

Yes, I know vBulletin is this best software/style for forums Actually I've managed to change many things for my forum which is built on Invision, so I think I can, somehow, handle this problem too. While searching this forum through many posts I came to know that I have to put some codes after "title" attribute as you say. I just want to know what are these codes/scripts? Just want to try. Otherwise, I'll let it as it is. By default it is showing this:

......." title="This topic was started: Nov 20 2005, 04:06 PM">Folder</a>

Do let me know what I've to change.
Many thanks.

ddadmin
11-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi:
I'm not 100% certain what you're asking, but the "title" attribute basically creates a tooltip when the mouse moves over a link. To populate it with an excerpt of the thread it's linking to like in vBulletin, I reckon you'd have to query your database to return this excerpt before generating the HTML with the title attribute prefilled with it. In other words, unless you're a PHP/ mySQL programmer, you probably won't be able to do this on your own unfortunately.

Mod
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok, thankyou very much for your time. :)