PDA

View Full Version : Easy slideshow script does not work

joppe
04-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Hello,

I wanted to add a slideshow 'gallery' on the index page of my website http://www.atelierscope.nl but it doens't work. It works fine when I open the html file in a browser (from my hard drive), or if I view the page in Dream Weaver, but after uploading, it doens't work anymore.

I don't know anything about script writing (I found this script on the web) so I really can't solve this problem myself.

Can someone please have a look and help me out here?
www.atelierscope.nl

Thanks,
Joppe Veul

jscheuer1
04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
The scriptaculous.js script is attempting to load:

js/builder.js
js/controls.js
js/effects.js
js/dragdrop.js
js/slider.js

I don't think they are there. The js/simple-slide-show.js script apparently needs one or more of those, scriptaculous (as currently configured in its external script tag) may need them all.

There are other problems and/or errors, but uploading those scripts to those locations might get the slideshow working. At least that much appears to be required.

If js/simple-slide-show.js only requires certain of those scripts, scriptaculous can be made to only load those using the ?load= query string appended to its filename, example:

<script src="js/scriptaculous.js?load=effects,builder" type="text/javascript"></script>

That tells it to load only effects.js and builder.js from its current folder. But to determine which those would be, you would have to know which are required by the js/simple-slide-show.js script. Or do some educated guessing and/or trial and error. From error messages on the page, it obviously needs effects.js, probably builder.js, perhaps others. Having scriptaculous load them all should be OK though, as long as they're all there to load.

The fact that it works locally would seem to imply that you have all of those scripts or at least the ones that js/simple-slide-show.js needs in the folder (the js folder) that has scriptaculous.js in it on the local machine.

After doing a little search on Google, it looks like this:

http://www.andrewsellick.com/30/simple-javascript-slide-show-using-scriptaculous

is the script you are attempting to use. If so, the only extra script you need is effects.js and you probably have that in the local js folder. Upload that to the server's js folder, and it should take care of it. In fact, you could probably then change:

<script src="js/scriptaculous.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

to:

<script src="js/scriptaculous.js?load=effects" type="text/javascript"></script>

and things would be more efficient because scriptaculous wouldn't be looking for all those other scripts.

But, as I say there are other problems. The cufon script is missing, but that shouldn't affect this. You can get rid of its errors by removing:

<script src="cufon-yui.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="Chalet_paris_500.font.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
Cufon.replace('#cufon');

</script>

Also, there's another slideshow script associated with the page:

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/image-slideshow.js"></script>

If that's not being used, it should be removed.