PDA

View Full Version : Switch menu doesn't work in IE

subduer
11-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I've searched everywhere for a menu like switch. its works great in Mozilla but when tested in IE. It doesn't work. I created 3 pages (test1.htm, test2.htm, text3.htm). These pages link to one another in this example i've put online:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/sphan/switch/test1.htm

Problem:
The menu keeps state of what was previously collapsed instead of what was recently clicked on, example below.

Eg.
- if you load test1.htm
- collapse "menu 2" and click on test2.htm
- (once in test2.htm page), collapse "menu 3" and click on test3.htm

you will find that "menu 2" is still collapsed and that "menu 3" is still shut. If you keep playing with it, the problem still remains.

The only way i've gotten around this is to refresh the page every time i click on a link. Once i've done this, it works normally as it does in Firefox.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

jscheuer1
11-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Working fine here in both browsers, you wouldn't happen to be a Mac user, would you?

subduer
11-22-2005, 12:15 AM
No, not at all.

I'm a PC user.

So have you gone into the link i've setup and everything works fine?

I'm really having trouble with this. its driving me nuts!!!

subduer
11-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Can you try that link again. I had the "persistmenu" set to "no". I've just placed it back to "yes".
So this should keep state of what was last collapsed.

jscheuer1
11-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Still working fine in both browsers. When I click on a header, it opens, when I click on the page title in the submenu, it switches to the new page with the menu in the same state it was in on the previous page. If I use the back button to change pages the menu state is still preserved. There is, this time, a very small noticeable lag in IE before the state of the menu is reproduced. On a very slow dial-up connection, it may be more noticeable. Do you have dial-up or broadband? More likely though, there is some glitch over cookies. In the browser that is giving you problems, delete all cookies and try again, this will probably fix it.

subduer
11-22-2005, 03:57 AM
I'm usuing Broadband. So im not noticing a glitch. I've deleted all cookies but still having the same problems. Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? I'm using 6.0 but the script says you can use it IE5+. I've tested it on another computer but still same problem.
it works in Firefox perfectly.

jscheuer1
11-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Problem:
The menu keeps state of what was previously collapsed instead of what was recently clicked on, example below.

Eg.
- if you load test1.htm
- collapse "menu 2" and click on test2.htm
- (once in test2.htm page), collapse "menu 3" and click on test3.htm

you will find that "menu 2" is still collapsed and that "menu 3" is still shut. If you keep playing with it, the problem still remains.

Let's make sure we understand the problem, because if I collapse "menu 2", there is no way I can click on test2.htm. So, just exactly what is the problem?

BTW, I use IE6 also.

subduer
11-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Hi John,
I've realised that it is my IE browser on my computer thats been stuffing me around. For some reason, on all the other browsers i've tested it on, it all seems to work fine. Appreciate your help. I just need to find out whats wrong with my browser now.

Thanks again.

jscheuer1
11-23-2005, 06:12 AM
That could be so many things. I'd want to be sure my disk wasn't nearly full and that there are no problems with the cookie directory and its parent directories. I'd make sure no viri were involved, and that I had the latest Windows and IE6 updates. I'd also do a search of Microsoft and the web in general to see if others are having the same or similar problem. But first, with all instances of IE closed, I would delete all cookies using the control panel - internet options - delete cookies.

subduer
11-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks John.

I will take a look at this. One thing I've noticed just recently, i've got a trojan on my computer. I think this may have been the problem.

I'm planning to clean my whole system and reinstall windows.

jolly_jonesy
12-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi

I have just stumbled upon this thread and have a problem relating to something mentioned in here...

When I jump pages there is a noticeable lag between the next page understanding which submenu to have open. The default for the menu is for all submenus to be closed so as you refresh to the next page the the menu 'Blinks closed' and then opens to the correct persistant state.. The look is undesirable and strangley does not occur in firefox??? so can't be a internet speed issue.. this only occur in IE 6 & 7 ... and tried on different PCs in different locations...

any ideas ???.. could this be improved in the way the web pages load in??.. could the menu be loaded in first before???

help please..

Cheers

Steve (aka jolly)