PDA

View Full Version : Photogallery thumbnails associated with seperate root folders

adam2308
03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Basically, what I am after is a photo gallery that works like this:

6 thumbnail pictures are displayed on screen
when a thumbnail is selected, it opens up in a lightbox (typical photo gallery scenario i.e. next image; previous image; close;)

**BUT THE TWIST IS**

instead of all images being kept in one root folder, each of the six thumbnails (mentioned above) will represent 6 seperate folders that will hold the pictures

so..
the point of it is my client would have to just add images to relevant photo gallery folder. You could think of it as different photo albums.. hence each album being represented by one of the 6 thumbnails above.

HELP would be GREATLY appreciated!!:)

Beverleyh
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Depending on the quantity of photos in each subfolder, wouldn't navigation be cumbersome and difficult?

If I'm understanding correctly, the only indicator to each subfolder's content would be one token thumbnail on the entry page, after which the visitor needs to use a single lightbox viewer to navigate a chain of images that only load one at a time?

Wouldn't a better navigation system be to have a front page with token images to each category subfolder that a visitor could decide to click into and from there get another thumbnail grid of sub-category images that they can then choose to view with a lightbox?

There are many comprehensive gallery systems on the web, such as Coppermine, that might suit but you could also set up a series of individual subfolder pages using the automatic php photo album script from DD: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/php-photoalbum.htm

Your entry page could be either hardcoded or use a random load image script from each subfolder
(that's how I'd do it anyway)

There are a few threads already in the forum that show you how to add Previous and Next buttons to the photo albums pre-installled lightbox too.