PDA

View Full Version : How to disable Text Size property on Internet Explorer

Dot
11-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Hello,

Ok, I want to know how can I disable text size property to Internet Explorer browser. I need that if user try to make text size bigger, he/she can not do that.

Thanks, sorry for my english!

Dot!

Twey
11-15-2005, 07:48 PM
1) Very very bad idea.
2) (Mostly) impossible.

Dot
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Why is a bad idea?
It's possible I know - but I don't know how do it! :(

Twey
11-16-2005, 03:04 PM
It's a very bad idea because, no matter how good a web designer you are, you cannot anticipate how your page will be displayed on every single possible system. For those with systems you haven't anticipated, the user (or the browser) will resize the text. If you do this, your page will become next to unreadable in those situations.
It is probably possible if you do something stupid like specifying your text size in pixels. However, as mentioned before, it's one of the worst design mistakes you can make. If the rest of your site doesn't look good when the text is resized, then it's the rest of your site that's the problem, not the text.

mwinter
11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Why is [trying to disable text resizing] a bad idea?The resize or zoom controls in a browser are an accessibility feature.

If you chose a reasonable font size (preferably by leaving it alone), a user won't want to fiddle with their settings. However, if the size is too small, a user will need to change it otherwise they won't be able to read the text. This is one reason why creating images containing text can also be a bad idea (large images like some logos shouldn't be a problem).

If your design falls apart when a user changes their font size, then either the design is faulty, or the implementation of it is.

Mike

WTF
06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Disabling text size in IE is a great idea because it is the only browser I have trouble with in this regard. In fact when it comes to lay-out, IE gives me more problems than any other browser!!!
Not only that but I have checked out a number of big name sites (here in Australia) and they all disable text size.
Although I am hand coder I have noticed Joomla automatically disables it.

WTF

dsagrera
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
You don't need to disable it at all, just need to avoid IE being able to apply text sizes. If you use stylesheets for all texts layers and tables, IE won't be able to control text size. Just apply a stylesheet in pixels to every object in your site. Regards.