PDA

View Full Version : content management systems

jhatter
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi

I designed & host a website using html, css & jquery. The client would now like to control some of the content - a simple news section on the home page.

What do I need to take into consideration with a content management system for this - ie what pitfalls should I look out for when choosing a CMS.

Thanks in anticipation!

Beverleyh
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Getting too much when you dont want or need it! :)

If its something really simple such as just one editable text area on a page that reads from a .txt file and includes with php, you will probably be able to write it yourself.

I was in a similar situation about 6 months ago and got annoyed with all the uneccesary bloat of CMSs on the web so I went away and wrote my own.

Its developed into something bigger now but you can get the earlier version of the script on my Fast Edit website and you can also see a comparison of the different versions here: http://fast-edit.co.uk/version_comparison.php

For something simple like one editable news area, Fast Edit Mini or Fast Edit Micro should be enough.

Hope that helps

jhatter
01-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks and sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been busy. I'll take a look over the next day or so and let you know how I get on.