PDA

View Full Version : IE Message: Object doesn't support this property or method

WarDaddy
12-31-2010, 12:06 AM
My website displays fine in all browsers except IE.
When loading a page I get the following message:

"Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:56:29 UTC

Line: 75
Char: 9
Code: 0
URI: http://hostbooter.com/_test/js/custom.js"

I am not a java coder I only know some very basic things, but any help would be amazing.

jscheuer1
12-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Ah, but does it display OK in IE 8? Most other browsers may have an error on that or another line. But most other browsers won't tell you anything about it unless you ask them to. The default in IE 8 is to show most errors in the status bar.

Anyways, here's the line:

// VALIDATION REPLY FORM //
$(document).ready(function() {
$("#reply-form").validate();
$("#contact-form").validate();
});

I found a hostbooter.com/_test/term.php page that uses the script and validate is not defined. As long as the page displays OK, you may remove that entire block of code (not just the highlighted). But there may be other errors. Firefox reports (when asked):

Error: $("#slider").jFlow is not a function
Source File: hostbooter.com/_test/js/custom.js
Line: 13

So once you remove the first block, this Line: 13 error or something else may show up in IE 8.

WarDaddy
12-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I tried removing this chunk and received no errors, but the green text still did not display properly. Guess I am just stuck with it ahha, thanks for helping me though :)

traq
12-31-2010, 09:27 PM
what is the page supposed to do? validate() and jFlow() sound like jQuery plugins. Do you know if those javascript files are being loaded? Can you share a link to the live webpage you're working on?

WarDaddy
12-31-2010, 09:45 PM
The page is http://hostbooter.com/_test/index.php

traq
01-01-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't know why it's not recognizing jFlow() -- which does exist -- but you don't have the validate() plugin installed. Do you need/want to validate your forms? You can find validate() here (http://plugins.jquery.com/project/validate).

I checked your page in Fx, Chrome, and IE7. They all look pretty much the same -- what version of IE are you having this problem in? And what text is missing, exactly?

jscheuer1
01-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I was looking at a different page, one where jFlow() was not defined.

I was also at a bit of a loss because I had just installed IE 9 so couldn't reliably test the page in IE 8. But I got the error and its resolution correct.

Now, on to this:

the green text still did not display properly.

I've uninstalled IE 9 so now can view the page in IE 8. I see no problem with the green text. Could you be more specific? In both Firefox and IE I see:

Welcome Back!

and various other headings in green, plus a:

More News

link. These are all green and behave the same in both browsers. There are also rollovers of the menu buttons:

DOWNLOADS PICTURES PURCHASE PORTAL SUPPORT FORUMS FAQ

These all work the same in both browsers as well, highlighting green onmouseover.

So what's the problem?

traq
01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I was looking at a different page, one where jFlow() was not defined.

I was also at a bit of a loss because I had just installed IE 9 so couldn't reliably test the page in IE 8. But I got the error and its resolution correct.

Now, on to this:

I've uninstalled IE 9 so now can view the page in IE 8. I see no problem with the green text. Could you be more specific?

That's exactly as I see it in IE7.