PDA

View Full Version : Window Size

myyoungfamily
11-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Ok, this is probably simple, but I haven't found an answer to it anywhere...

I need a way to have all the pages of my site, including the home page, set to open at a specific size. I know how to do it when linking, but I haven't found any way to do it on the first page of the site. Is there a universal code or script I can use on every page? All the pages of my site need to be width"760" x height"510"... here are two of my pages: www.myyoungfamily.com/newhome.htm and www.myyoungfamily.com/home9.html

-Jonathan

jscheuer1
11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Can't be done. Have your first page be a simple cover page with a picture, title and 'click to enter' on it. Have that link open your real first page in the desired size.

Better still, redesign your site so that you do not have to control the user. Designers should stick to what goes inside the window 99.99% to 100% of the time, let the user worry about the size and position of the window.

myyoungfamily
11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm not trying to control anything, I just think it will look best if the user sees only the content.

Would it be possible to make my home page an invisible page that would load my first page at the specific size and then automaticaly close?

jscheuer1
11-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Nope. Can't be done. Pages not opened with javascript cannot be closed with javascript, a sort of catch 22. It can be finagled in IE but not in other modern browsers. No entire window can be invisible. Any page popped up from such an invisible window (if such or something serving as such could be made) would activate the default pop up blocker on all modern browsers as, pop ups not activated as a direct result of user action (usually onclick) are blocked. Furthermore, if you go this route at all, even by following my instructions from my first post in this thread, you are at the mercy of having your content mangled by non-javascript enabled browsers and those with settings which disallow certain of your window manipulations. Again, stick to what is inside the window. Let the user worry about where the window is, what size it is, what features it has. Believe me, if someone is interested in your content, they will set the window to the right size and shape for them and any chrome (scrollbars, address bar, buttons) on the browser will be unseen in the mind's eye.