PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow 2.4 - Problem with "peekaboo"

jstrianese
12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
1) Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow 2.4

2) http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) When the description panel is set to "peekaboo", it still slides out of view at the pre-determined time interval even if you have paused the slideshow by mousing over it. This is a problem if there are 2-3 lines of text to read. I shouldn't have to set the time interval to 20 seconds just to make sure the user has enough time to read all of the text in the description panel. It should remain in view if the slideshow has been paused.

Is there a way to force the description panel to remain in view when you pause the slideshow with a mouseover?

Thanks in advance!

jscheuer1
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I seem to remember this coming up before. I can't find the reference though. It would be easier to figure out again if I could see a demo of the problem.

I think it was just a tweak of one of the parameters in the new fadeSlideShow() call. Like maybe the:

fadeduration: 500, //transition duration (milliseconds)

I think that's different than the interval you're talking about.

But, as I intimated, it might be something else. If playing with that value doesn't get it for you and you want more help:

Please post a link to a page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

jstrianese
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
It seems like the description panel when set to "peekaboo" uses the slide duration for how long to stay visable. When you pause the slideshow, it doesn't pause the description panel which I find strange.

Here's my site. You'll see the slideshow at the top. I have the slide duration set at 8 seconds, but even if you mouseover to pause the slideshow, the description panel still slides out of view at 8 seconds. I'd like to set it to 5 seconds, but I also want to make sure users have enough time to read the description, as well.

http://www.fdmk.net/

jscheuer1
12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
That would mean anticipating when the slide will change, rather than as it does now, going on when we know it will - at least if the user doesn't pause it.

I'm not sure how to do that. I will give it some more thought. I've tried several methods and the best I could get had the previous description showing briefly when the description peekaboo's in for the next item.

However, if you are willing to sacrifice half of the peekaboo effect, you can simply comment out (red) this highlighted line as shown:

if (setting.descreveal=="peekaboo" && setting.longestdesc!=""){
slideshow.showhidedescpanel('show')
//setting.hidedesctimer=setTimeout(function(){slideshow.showhidedescpanel('hide')}, setting.displaymode.pause-fadeSlideShow_descpanel.slidespeed)
}

By "sacrifice half" I mean that now the descriptions will still peekaboo in, but instead of peekaboo out, they will just vanish out.

jstrianese
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
That works. The description panel simply vanishing instead of sliding out is a minimal and almost non-noticeable sacrafice. Thanks.