PDA

View Full Version : Modifying DD's New Album Script?

blueberry
11-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Script: DD Tab Menu
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/photoalbum.htm

We would like to modify the appearance of this album just a little bit.

would really appreciate it if you know how to...

1) bring the page navigation links (page 1, page 2, etc.) on top of the gallery table? (this way it is more likely to let people know there are more pages)

2) or, better yet, change these wording to your liking, such as “more friends page 1” “favorite links 2” etc.?

3) change the font size / appearance in css? We like: size 2 (12px), Verdana/Arial, and color white. (font for image descriptions is pretty stubbon; stays tiny default Times Roman no matter how we tried).

Thank you!!!

jscheuer1
11-06-2005, 07:49 AM
The changes to the style of the 'page' links (font family, size, etc.) are done here:

#navlinks a{ /*CSS for each navigational link*/
margin-right: 8px;
margin-bottom: 3px;
font-size: 80%;
font-family:verdana, arial;
}

Your other two requests were a bit more involved. All three are incorporated in this Demo (http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/files/photo_album.htm). It is a slow server (usually) but, once the page loads you can right click on a blank area and choose 'view source'.

blueberry
11-06-2005, 08:21 AM
It is so kind of you - it works beautifully! Thank you.

A few more questions…

1) Yes, we kind of guessed that’s the area to change the font style. Would you tell us, also, how to change the font of those “optional descriptions” under each image? Right now it stays plain Times Roman… would like the same white Verdana/Arial.

2) Would you say these descriptions underneath can be read just fine by search engines for keywords, like non-script links? We are using the album for that purpose as well, rather than simply describe the images…

Thanks!!!

ddadmin
11-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Blueberry, to answer your last 2 questions:

1) Modify the below rule with:

.slideshow{ /*CSS for DIV containing each image*/
float: left;
width: 200px;
height: 270px;
font: normal 12px Verdana;
color: white;
}

for example.

2) No, the description most likely won't be picked up by search engines, as they are dynamically written via JavaScript, not plain HTML. Smart search engines like Google are rumored to be able to interpret JavaScript as well on the page, but that's another story and theory. :)

blueberry
11-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the quick reply - forgot to ask this ... is it possible to make the descriptions links, so that people can click on either images or words?

Very helpful forum!

blueberry
11-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Your help was so wonderfully fast, we haven't organized our questions very well...our apologies for not very neat posts.

One last question for this script: while it definitely saves space as we have tons of images to show on one page, does it also help save loading time (and hopefully bandwidth)?

Thank you so much for all the help!

jscheuer1
11-06-2005, 09:30 AM
To make the descriptions (captions) of the images links as well, find these two lines in 'function buildimage(i)':

tempcontainer=galleryarray[i][3]!=""? tempcontainer+'</a>' : tempcontainer
tempcontainer=galleryarray[i][2]!=""? tempcontainer+'<br \/>'+galleryarray[i][2] : tempcontainer

and reverse their order:

tempcontainer=galleryarray[i][2]!=""? tempcontainer+'<br \/>'+galleryarray[i][2] : tempcontainer
tempcontainer=galleryarray[i][3]!=""? tempcontainer+'</a>' : tempcontainer

This script will have little or no effect on bandwidth but should accelerate the apparent load time under some circumstances. Bytes are bytes however you look at it and all must eventually be transferred.