PDA

View Full Version : multiple popup locations?

neilkw
11-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I am trying to configure code to launch multiple onlick popups at different sizes which appear at different coordinates on one page
(I assure you they are not for annoying advertising - more of an artists gallery experiment)).
Cross browswer would just be icing on the cake..

Thanks
Neil Whitehead

jscheuer1
11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
By different coordinates on the page, do you mean relative to the page's upper left corner or relative to the object on the page that was clicked to produce the pop up?

Do you realize that in either case, on some systems and/or viewport locations/sizes, many 'coordinates on the page' might actually be off the page and/or outside the window?

Different coordinates on the screen would be much easier.

Also, do you mean launch multiple pop ups on one click or just one pop up per click, just several opportunities to launch pop ups?

neilkw
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I have been directed to this site which is what i am looking to do.
I now know it can be done! http://www.copyrightdavis.com/index_3.html
( beware popup frenzy). The code looks interesting, I need to extract the main source of launcing a popup and inputting the screen coordinates. Any other pointers would be gratefully recieved.

jscheuer1
11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
That page does nothing but say:

"Paul Davis loves London."

in the lower left corner and activate my pop up blocker. This is in IE6, with the default (read most widely used browser with the most widely used pop up settings) values for pop up handling. FF (the second most widely used browser) with its default pop up handling settings, does the same. As a result, I would highly recommend not emulating the code from that page.

You haven't really answered my questions directly but, I can deduce that you want windows to pop up on page load. This is impossible to do in today's average browser with their built in pop up blockers. The only way to have pop ups work in these browsers is to have them be as the direct result of a user's clicking on something on the page. If the default settings in the browser for pop up blocking have been made more strict, even this strategy will no work.

I have an idea that pop ups may be able to be launched on the same click (from another page on your site) that loads the current page where pop ups are desired but, will have to test this idea out. I have only ever seen this with pop under windows, which I imagine would be unsuitable for your purposes.

Another approach would be not to use pop up windows at all but, rather pop up and/or drop down divisions (boxes). These are not so widely blocked.

neilkw
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
many thank for your comments..I am gonna revise my prepared solution.

cheers