PDA

View Full Version : Drop in box

Bernie Kruger
11-17-2010, 01:05 PM
1) Script Title: Drop-in Box

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/dropinbox.htm

3) Describe problem: Small issue again.

Because I am using frames, it appears the once per session does not work. I was forced to use the drop in every time a page is loaded but I am sure that is going to piss a few users off. I have the slashdot menu running in a left frame and on call, the only time the drop in box works is when it is set for every time a page loads, the once per session does not seem to work with frames.

The once per session - could one not use a cookie to determine if the user session has already either clicked on a link in the box or closed it?

Oh and btw, maybe it would be a good idea to update the source code so that dummies like me will know how to apply a border. The demo has borders but I was forced to copy from your source code on the demo to get the idea that a table was used - the actual bit you put at the end of the body, methinks the author assumes we are all rocket scientists ;) FWIW.

My link http://www.lbk.co.za/Const/Index.htm, select Our services and click on bathrooms (2nd from bottom)

Bernie

ddadmin
11-18-2010, 10:11 PM
The drop in box being in a frame shouldn't affect the session-only setting if it's present. Looking at your page, it seems you're using the non session version of Drop In Box. Can you change it to the session only version just so we can see if there's an issue?

Bernie Kruger
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
The drop in box being in a frame shouldn't affect the session-only setting if it's present. Looking at your page, it seems you're using the non session version of Drop In Box. Can you change it to the session only version just so we can see if there's an issue?

I am using the non session as with testing "once per session" it appears that you have to shut down the explorer. I did that and still did not get the drop in on testing, even after publishing. Seems with FF that if you have another session open, it does not appear either.

Pretty frustrating as you have to switch between "every time a page loads" to "once per session" code to see if it works. Really I do not have an issue with the script apart from the fact that the approach seems a bit redundant.

The demo has a redo(0) command to check it out again, cannot really put something like that on a page.

I did once upon a time tried your frames page approach but that led to too many problems with other scripts.

I hope I do not sound too ungrateful.

The reason I wanted to incorporate this is I am getting inquiries for stuff we do not supply to the public, so I thought it would be polite to save them a call. Under my contacts page I placed the "disclaimer" as I could not get it to work on the default page that loads with "handles"

This is why I suggest the cookies approach as this will circumvent the issues I am having - really no hurry. IMO, if the cookie approach works, this could be a very powerful ad script.

Regards

Bernie