PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 64 bit

DaculaWeather
10-22-2010, 11:44 AM
1) Script Title: FadeSlideShow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Problems in Win 7 64 bit
I've had this script working for about a year now and I've had absolutely no problems with just about any browser I've tried it with. Excellent script!

I work for a school system and was in a lab for a class the other day. They have some new computers running Win 7 64 bit. I use this script on all my pages but my opening page has two instances of it (both work! :-)). But on those computers, all I ended up with were blank div's. No pictures would ever show. I've tried it on Win 7 32 bit computers and it seems to be fine. Has anyone seen this issue?
Here's my page: daculaweather.com

jscheuer1
10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
No problem here with the slideshows in Win 7 IE 8 64 bit. There is something Active X that your page wants to install and/or run though that my default settings block. Not being sure what that is, I opted not to allow it. But even though this script uses 'safe' Active X, that didn't stop the slideshows from working.

However, since you say this is a school lab, I assume you are on their network. There was a time when all netadmins worth their salt blocked all Active X in IE network wide to prevent attacks through even these 'safe' Active X controls. I don't believe this is still necessary. It might be, I'm not 100% up on that particular issue. But old habits die hard and the netadmin there may just have disabled this out of habit. If so, you may be able to get the slideshows to work on the school's network by disabling the fade transition. That's complicated for this script though. And it would result in losing the nice fade effect for IE in IE browsers with that restriction. Interestingly though, IE 9 (no official release yet) supposedly can do fading effects without resorting to these 'safe' Active X controls. So if the lab has IE 9, and this is the problem, the script could be rewritten to get around the issue for IE 9.

A quick test of whether this is the problem or not would be to go to:

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/filter/Alpha.htm

If the effect works on the lab computer (check the above link on your computer where the slideshow works so you know what you are looking for), then this probably isn't the problem. If the effect doesn't work on the lab computer, find out what version of IE the lab is running.

Note: This is an IE only test page. There should be no effect in other browsers, regardless of the OS or number of bits.

DaculaWeather
10-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't really use any Active X controls, it might be Quicktime for my webcam that was causing that message for you. I also use a AJAX script to update the current conditions on the fly, but those would be the only two things I can think of that might cause the Active X thing to pop-up.

It works on all other computers I've tried within the firewall of the school system. My personal school laptop uses IE8 and Chrome on XP Pro and it doesn't have that issue.

So you say it DID work on IE8 on Win 7 64 bit?

Thanks John!

jscheuer1
10-22-2010, 09:07 PM
So you say it DID work on IE8 on Win 7 64 bit?

Yes. I'd still suggest the test I mentioned, as it would at least either give you an explanation or eliminate one possible reason. You see, with a new installation of Win 7 64 bit, the netadmin would have had to configure it somehow. Disabling all Active X, even the 'safe' kind, would definitely have been an option.