PDA

View Full Version : Multiple fading slideshow pictures on 1 page, will pay $

Benito_3
10-30-2005, 05:22 PM
I realize that your entry statement states that this question will not normally get a reply, but would like to post it anyway with a twist.

I am trying to get your Fade-in image slideshow script to work with multiple images on a simple web site. After searching the web I have not found a simple fix.

Thought is that:

1) It is not possible.
2) Causes computers to respond erratically.
3) It is possible.

If its not possible or causes erratic displays then please post a note stating that. This would save a lot of folks time in trying to make something work that won't.

If it is, I would appreciate it if you would post a version of the code for multiple fading slideshows on a single web page. One that would be simple to implement, like all your wonderful code.

The twist. Post this and I will pay $50 for it...provide your Paypal or send me your address and I will send a check. Don't mind paying for your work.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Benito Loyola benito @ loyola.com
President
Loyola Enterprises Inc. www.loyola.com
2984 South Lynnhaven Road, Suite 101
Virginia Beach, VA. 23452
757-498-6118 x101

jscheuer1
10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
The iframe idea in the below will work for that script, send your money to the Red Cross.

This is a stock response:

Aside from the tutorial above, which usually is the solution when the problem is two different scripts, you may need to consult:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?tut=0&part=0&TOshow=allshow#refcon

Which explains how two scripts on the same page may not use the same set of variable names, id names, etc. This is especially important if the problem is two copies of the same script on a page but, can come into play with two different scripts when the first step won't fix it.

One other approach that works in both situations, if adaptable to one (or more) of the scripts, is to put one script in a borderless iframe. It will look like it is on the same page but, since it really is on a separate page, conflicts are no longer an issue.

paulh
11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I have had a hack at the Fade-in image slideshow script and have just about managed to get it to work with two images on a page. Its my first attempt at using Javascript and it's still very much a work in progress.
Demo at Multiple Fade-in slideshow (http://www.flame-nightclub.co.uk/test/calendar1.php)

Once I've tidied up it should do what I need, a very useful script.

Paul

ddadmin
11-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi:
Well, it's certainly possible to have multiple copies of the Fade in Showshow on the same page. The problem is that a complete rewrite of the script is needed to handle the intricacies of such a requirement. There are quite a few people requesting this, so without making any promises, I'll have this on my to do list. However, I'm very much tied up on a bunch of things right now (personal), so realistically, I'd say the earliest I can get to this request would be late Dec or early Jan.

An ugly hack would literally be to change every instance of every variable and function names inside the two copies of the script, so you have 2x the code, including HTML. I wouldn't recommend investing time doing this, which I'm not 100% would work, but logically, should.

theoforce
04-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi - you said in October:
"The problem is that a complete rewrite of the script is needed to handle the intricacies of such a requirement. There are quite a few people requesting this, so without making any promises, I'll have this on my to do list. However, I'm very much tied up on a bunch of things right now (personal), so realistically, I'd say the earliest I can get to this request would be late Dec or early Jan."

Any luck... I'm interested also.

Thanks

Twey
04-19-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm working on it, but as ddadmin said, it's a pretty big job.

djr33
04-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Heck... use frames.... or iframes. There's your easy solution.

Twey
04-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Tsk... always looking for the cheap way out. :p

djr33
04-19-2006, 06:24 AM
I'm just supplying it... go for recoding it, but you guys said it was a big task... there is a (not so good) alternative... heh.

jscheuer1
04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Hasn't this been done now?

Ultimate Fade-in slide show (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm)

Oh, and in light of recent events, instead of the Red cross, I would now suggest the Salvation Army or your favorite (see my previous post in this thread).

Twey
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
(twitch) I spent how long on that last night?!
Never mind, mine has/will have more features anyway.

Red
04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Hasn't this been done now?

Ultimate Fade-in slide show (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm)

Oh, and in light of recent events, instead of the Red cross, I would now suggest the Salvation Army or your favorite (see my previous post in this thread).

I am trying to implement this script but am having trouble. I have another script on my page of an OpenCube menu, is that causing a conflict? I have tried it on two different pages and on one, 2 of my 3 slideshows are working and on the other page 0 of 5 are working.

Thanks for any assistance.

jscheuer1
04-21-2006, 09:59 PM
I am trying to implement this script but am having trouble. I have another script on my page of an OpenCube menu, is that causing a conflict? I have tried it on two different pages and on one, 2 of my 3 slideshows are working and on the other page 0 of 5 are working.

Thanks for any assistance.

These are just my best guesses without seeing the code -

On the page with 2 of 3, the third is probably configured wrong and/or has a syntax error in its array[1] or call[2]. 0 of 5, it is hard to say but, if the pages are otherwise very similar, then it could be the same type problem. Only in this case, if only the first one has an error, that could be preventing all of them from working. Of course, there could be other errors on the 0 of 5 page.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

[1] - Example Array:

var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["photo1.jpg", "", ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["photo2.jpg", "http://www.cssdrive.com", ""] //image with link syntax
fadeimages[2]=["photo3.jpg", "http://www.javascriptkit.com", "_new"] //image with link and target syntax

[2] - Example Call:

new fadeshow(fadeimages2, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 0)