PDA

View Full Version : Jim's Menu - Floating Menu in FireFox

DrMerchant
10-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I love this menu. It works great in Internet Explorer. It moves when I resize the browser. However, in Firefox the menu is static. Even the demo is static in Firefox. How do I float the menu in Firefox? Visit www.drmbs.biz to see what I mean. First look in Internet Explorer, then in FireFox.

jscheuer1
10-30-2005, 02:46 AM
I seem to recall at least one menu that only floats in IE, this may be the one. Please read the documentation thoroughly.

julier
11-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Jim's DHTML menu V5.7
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm

I'm having the same problem with Netscape 8 (and Firefox). I reread the documentation, and there is no mention that the menu float will only work in IE....

jscheuer1
11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I misunderstood the question, I think. If you mean having the menu static on the page while the page is scrolled, I stand by my original response even if the documentation does not mention it. If you mean the 'float' function whereby the menu is supposed to stay in the same position relative to other page elements, this does not appear to work (in FF) even in the online demo for that (see below).

Care should be taken however, be sure that you have configured the 'float' as per instructions in the tutorial.htm that comes in the distribution zip file.

Still, I notice that the example3.htm (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/example3.htm) on Dynamic drive, which is supposed to demonstrate the float function, when viewed at different window sizes, does not work as I would expect in FF. This seems to be due to FF not reloading the page on resize, something IE does do and something for which the current FF has built in safeguards against. May be time for another update. But, as this is a third party menu, you will need to check with the author.

If this is the problem you are talking about, changing this line in dom-build.js from:

window.onresize = new Function("location.reload();");

to:

window.onresize = function(){setTimeout("location.reload();",0)};

will take care of it.