PDA

View Full Version : I'm a novice can you help?

niallmckenna
10-26-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm creating my first website and I wish to have a contacts page where a basic form will be for entering text to be sent by email via a submit button. I am wondering whether I need any special programming or a database in order for the email to be sent properly. At the moment, the form I have, has a submit button, but when you have entered your text into the form then press submit, outlook express opens with the correct email address but without the text that has just been entered.

I've read that if I wish to have my text stored then sent straight my email address using a form, I have to have some kind of database behind the script.

How do I go about getting such a database and will it mean I will have to use a programming language such as PHP or perl or ASP etc?

Is the clear or can anyone help me?

mwinter
10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm creating my first website and I wish to have a contacts page where a basic form will be for entering text to be sent by email via a submit button. I am wondering whether I need any special programming or a database in order for the email to be sent properly.

To send an e-mail from a Web interface, yes you do need a server-side script (but not a database) to process and send that message. However, your host may already provide one, even if they don't allow you to write your own. If not, then there are existing services (http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Remotely_Hosted/Form_Processing/) that you can use, both for free and commercially.

Mike