PDA

View Full Version : Protect My Pictures

Clayf700
09-02-2010, 02:02 AM
okay, now I have some pictures that i want to protect and what i am trying to do is every time you press the print scr button a div comes over the screen thus blocking the attempt to steal my pictures. oh and does anybody have any ideas how to make it so that they can't highlight pictures or disable ctrl+c or somthing
Thanx alot
-Clayf700

bluewalrus
09-02-2010, 02:07 AM
You can not protect your pictures if they are online. You can attempt to avert them via disabling certain options but that is all js based and if that is disabled it proves pointless.

Clayf700
09-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Well, thanks for the advice. But for the most part I have a plan; you see I could instead of disabling the print screen key I could make it so when it is pressed a div pops over the screen. In 100% height and 100% width colored completely black so it covers the screen. i know this is possible because when you press a key like ''x" or "p" or some other key a function happens. i am just wondering how you can make a function happen when you press the print screen key, do you get what I’m saying?
Pretty much all i want is to make it so that they can't print the screen
thanx

djr33
09-02-2010, 04:04 AM
It won't work. Don't bother trying. Really.

On a mac, print screen is by default command + shift + 3. And that's just an example. You can program it to anything you want. And on all operating systems you can install software that will do a print screen through any keys you'd like, or a click... etc.

Plus, if the user sees the computer it is already saved somewhere on their hard drive. And the direct link to the image is in the source code... etc.

And by the way, print screen is activated before it can be blocked or changed, so there's no way to get around it, even if you can block the key, I believe. It would take a picture then the div would be generated.

traq
09-02-2010, 04:49 AM
...Pretty much all i want is to make it so that they can't print the screen
You can't.

this has been discussed at some length, over the span of many different threads (even different forums). Trust us, we're not dismissing your ideas out-of-hand. Some good explanations are in this thread.

nebuk
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Anyhow everything's already in the cache where you can pick the pic, so why even bother trying 2 block browser/printscreen copy?
rgds/pe(a)r

jscheuer1
09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Only publish lower resolution and/or watermarked versions of images that have any value.

Also, use copyright law to pursue any violations of your rights. To do so, mail a copy of the images to yourself. Do not open unless in a court or other legally binding situation where the postmark will provide a proof of the date.

Generally it will never come to that. If you see your images being used elsewhere, contact the owner of the site. They will usually take them down. If not, contact their ISP, and the ISP usually will comply by either removing the offending account or images.

What many people don't realize though is that their images aren't anything special. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it may well be. If they are of any real monetary value, take the steps I've outlined above.

djr33
09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
To expand on that: the web is a sharing medium. If you don't want to share, don't put it on the web. Your only real protection is copyright law (and choosing not to upload some things), and that's just how the web works.