PDA

View Full Version : Please help with a general enquiry

DavidCD
10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I am new to web development. Please can someone help me to clear some confusion. If I should use a "Dynamic Drive" menu script ( as a one off.)on a web site that I develop for a client and obviously putting in the "copyright". Do I have to get permission(written or other) from Dynamic Drive or is the copyright sufficient.The terms to me are not clear and being new to this I do not want to slip up. It says it is ok to use for personal or commercial use which to me indicates that I can. Please can someone advise me because I am nervous.
thanks in advance
Carole :confused:

Twey
10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
You can use it however you like, so long as you retain the "script from dynamicdrive.com, written by Mr. John Smith" message in the source code. However, you cannot copyright it. It is free for anyone to use. The copyleft statement in the script itself overrides any copyright you may put on it or the page it is part of.

DavidCD
10-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for quick reply. This is good news. I was worried that if you charge the customer for developing the site you may not be able to use the script.

Twey
10-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I believe this comes under "commercial use."

ddadmin
10-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks for quick reply. This is good news. I was worried that if you charge the customer for developing the site you may not be able to use the script.

Using our scripts in your commerical web projects is fine as well, as long as what Trey mentioned is upheld.

Twey
10-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Trey? :-\