PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Web Site personalization

ccscull
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I have been asked to look into an issue we are now having with the personalization we use on our intranet site...I have absolutly no idea were to begin.

Basically our personalization works in IE but not in Firefox. Our IT guy thought it may be because we had an older version of Prototype.js. But upgrading it just broke IE as well.

The way the personalization work from what I can see (please keep in mind I am not an IT person Im a web graphic designer) is that we have some javascript on our pages that allows a person to save a url so it shows on the homepage. That url is saved in a database application and pulled into a page based on a persons login.

Unfortunatly the site is an intranet site and behind a firewall so I can't show you the page.

I am basically looking for a direction to go here in my reasearch not really expecting to get the answer itself.

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

traq
08-12-2010, 02:17 AM
there's absolutely nothing that can be done without a better description of what is going on, and at least seeing your source code.

In addition, it would be helpful if you could clarify "Personalization" - I have no idea what you mean by that. Are you using personalized layouts/colors? Do different users get different home pages? No clue.

djr33
08-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Additionally, while this may be hard since the page is on an intranet, it is very helpful to actually see the page. If not possible, you could post the code here.
But without any specifics, the best we can do is guess.
As in the post above, though, we must know what you mean by "personalization" to even guess....

ccscull
08-12-2010, 04:30 PM
The Personalization is that people can save links in the site and they will come up on a side bar on the homepage. As I understand it this function is done by two js files and some code on the header in the pages pages. One of the js files is something called prototype.js...my understanding of that is it's not specific to the site, it is a generally code script. the other is specific to the site.

Any ideas on what I need to research would be welcomed...I know you can't really help to much with the information I have.

I cant seem to post the code...over the charater count...I will try to post separately

ccscull
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
the site will not let me post the code...too long. Thanks anyway

Beverleyh
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Save the code into a text file and upload it as an attachment.