PDA

View Full Version : DynamicDrive CMS?

NickNameDrive
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Hope i'm not out of place here.

DynamicDrive is 50,000+ strong members comunity, with a great deal of skill set.

Loosly based on this discussion http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56381&page=2 is there enough knowledge, skill and time to create a DynamicDrive CMS?

Main concept is having inbuilt block (you can call it element, component or whatever) editor! Naming block and including it as part of WYSIWYG editor, somewhere above all the regular icons for instance. This way you can edit block inside another block and so on.

Writing blocks should not be complicated at all. You create your HTML wrapper set the style and place a php call for WYSIWYG editor, name it and save it. Any person with basic knowledge of HTML can create a block and share it with others if needed.

Blocks can act as plugins as well. For example based on the Lighbox script for DD set up a bock with simple wraper <a href="php_call_for_url" rel="lighbox" ... etc.
Place a php call in it for editor and for link to url destination, assign JS and CSS path to template page and that's it.
You can now choose in your WYSIWYG editor whether you want to insert a picture or a lightbox picture or just text.

Great deal of pluggins can be shipped with this CMS just from DD website alone.

I think DynamicDrive is a cracking name for CMS as well!

Is anyone interested in developing such thing?

djr33
08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
This isn't a bad idea and I can see it working, but this isn't really the same as what Dynamic Drive currently does.
The CSS and Javascript libraries here are all "plug and play", parts of sites that can be easily implemented.
And the lack of serverside scripts is also part of this: writing cross-server compatible scripts is just as hard as cross-browser Javascript, but very different.

Due to this, it would simply be a very new approach for this site.

Of course the final decision will be for ddadmin and perhaps given time, this might happen.

But for now I don't see it being a priority.

The other problem is that while ddadmin is one of the top Javascript coders here, he is not, I don't believe, an expert with serverside programming. This would mean that others would be primarily writing the script and if this were a large project for the whole site that might not fit too well. Who would be project manager, for example?
And I don't mean this as an insult to him or anything, but just that this is yet another aspect that would require a significant shift if Dynamic Drive were to start focusing on serverside scripts. I know that ddadmin does have some knowledge in this area, but at the very least he spends most of his time working with Javascript.

None of this is to say that a project couldn't be started on the forums, but as an official script it might not work, or at least it might not work until it is done and submitted to the library.

There area some other options, such as the ongoing discussion of a PHP scripts website in the lounge area. There are certainly some users here with a similar interest, but it's not the main focus of the site.

And finally, why reinvent the wheel? There are many CMS options available and none are perfect, but there's no reason ours would be better. And to create that kind of system takes a lot of time, and many skilled developers.

NickNameDrive
08-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, no responces so far.

By no means i think building CMS is easy, however i just like the concept of blocks inside blocks, i think that delivers great flexibility.

There has to be a reply from someone who knows how to write a php engine for CMS to start talking.

djr33
08-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I know PHP well and I could participate in this, but I just don't see it as fitting in with the current flow of things here. Certainly if there is interest, there's no reason not to do it. Personally I'm too busy at the moment to even consider joining another project, but I do think this would be an interesting project.

However, responding to your "block in a block" idea, how do you think it would be easy for the user? It's not bad for a good coder, but how would this be for the average user?
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just something to work out the details on until you get the project going.

NickNameDrive
08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
to djr33,

about the reinventing wheel. It was reinvented and quite a bit since "yaba daba doo" version.

about block in block. i think, just as example with lightbox plugin, user now can choose to insert regular img or a lightbox linked img.
In fact Concrete5 CMS did aply some of it, when you insert a block "content" they have included some additional functions on top of usual TinyMCE functions.
Idea with this one is that those additional blocks on top are yours (or 3rd party), once that you designed and applied to current page template.

However, this idea will greatly benefit the coder, no doubt there. You can create bunch of block and hand over control panel for users to manage site by playing with those blocks.

I would expand on that concept, but there's no interest anyways.

liamallan
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
i have never went as far as to try create something as advanced as a fully functional CMS, as i have only been into php for around a year, but if i could help in any way, i would! i think it is a great idea, i am a faithful user to this site, and all the admin and mods are the friendliest i have ever spoke to, and the reason i started with php! and for u daniel, u have helped me with many many problems while i was learning php, for which im grateful! :D

an idea, why not leave it up to the dd users to try create the dd CMS, and all u busy admin/mods can guide us, see what we come out with.
what u think?

traq
08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
There's also a big difference between creating a custom CMS and creating a custom CMS that is "plug-and-play." Something that is innovative, powerful and easy in one person's mind may just be a complicated mess to the rest of the world. And, as djr mentioned, compatibility is a big issue too: if your CMS can't be dumped into any given server and work "out of the box," it won't be very successful. That take tons of time and effort from a committed group. As talented as the coders here on DD may be, that's a lot to ask - but without that kind of commitment from a core group, most projects like this flounder.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or even that I wouldn't help out. Just pointing out that it's just a big proposition.

djr33
08-15-2010, 04:25 AM
I think what this would need is a single user dedicated to the project and able to start coding a strong base. If someone wants to do this, the project may expand. Without that, I don't see it getting started. But of course there's always time to start later... whenever that user has time/interest.

Also, the point traq makes is crucial: plug-and-play and also the ability to function for any type of user are huge obstacles. It's easy enough to write a CMS for yourself (well, not easy, but easier), but creating one that works for "most" users and works on virtually all servers would be difficult.

NickNameDrive
08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
What about Open Source bits and peaces for server compatibility? Something i now nothing about, but EE CMS uses CodeIgniter framework, there're also bunch of 'em here http://www.opensourcescripts.com/dir/PHP/Content_Management/Content_Management_Frameworks/, is this something that can help with compatibility issues?

I do not know nothing about building PHP engines or even fully functionable CMSs, though i think it's great the bits and peaces of it are available and open source.

Also I heard somewhere, possibly in a movie about Gate and Jobs, "good artists create, best artists still" or something like that.

traq
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
open source is, of course, the way to go. putting it all together is still a lot of work.

Beverleyh
08-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Why not consider it a learning curve for yourself - start small, find examples/tutorials online and build small functions that could form part of a CMS.

I couldnt find a CMS that worked or did what I wanted either so thats why I made my own too. I didnt really know a huge deal about php when I started but all the research has helped me no-end.

It might be easier for you to lay down a base and then have others contribute to it.

NickNameDrive
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes, i think that is something that i would like to try and learn.

It's just after a discussion in php forum here, i thought of the same, but than i also thought that DynamicDrive is a great name for CMS, that's why proposed the topic.